Goat Thread

Pics
Thank you! Fall breedings as in breeding for kids in spring? So like roughly 150-155 days before April? I don't mind waiting a year either. Chestnut is 55lbs and Nutmeg is 43lbs, are those healthy weights to get bred?

I think I will ask the breeder for some insight too, since CA weather is quite different from Texas. Thank you so much!
Oh yeah, your weather will be much different😄
But yes, fall breedings for spring kids. And 55-43lbs is great breeder weight as far as I know. Mine need to be 60 so yours shouldn't be too different. I had a gorgeous little ND buck but never got around to breeding him and I never did find good does.

Thank you! Fall breedings as in breeding for kids in spring? So like roughly 150-155 days before April? I don't mind waiting a year either. Chestnut is 55lbs and Nutmeg is 43lbs, are those healthy weights to get bred?

I think I will ask the breeder for some insight too, since CA weather is quite different from Texas. Thank you so much!
I usually breed mine in October for March, but my climate is much colder than yours 🙂 In fact, I may breed mine later next year so it’s not quite as cold😂
If I was doing fall kiddings, I would breed them now for August or September, because it usually (but not always) starts snowing in October, but I prefer to wait for spring 😁

I would personally wait until May-June. That way the babies would be born around October which would be mild weather. And she wouldn't be heavily pregnant through the hottest months. I always prefer fall breedings though.

For the doe March would be better. For the kids may-june would better imo.

NDs are different from mini nubians (my goats) in that they can breed whenever. And at petting zoos they seem perfectly healthy that way. I just prefer once a year for the kids, does, and for a better lactation curve.
I just noticed I mixed up breeding for fall kids with breeding for spring kids. :th:lol:

No wonder I thought I was late! Now it all makes sense!! Okay, glad I figured out where I was wrong. I plan to breed them in May-June like you recommended then. For now I will just try track their heats and stuff. Thank you so much guys!
I usually breed mine in October for March, but my climate is much colder than yours 🙂 In fact, I may breed mine later next year so it’s not quite as cold😂
If I was doing fall kiddings, I would breed them now for August or September, because it usually (but not always) starts snowing in October, but I prefer to wait for spring 😁
Yeah, sounds cold alright! We don’t ever get snow in Oct. Do you ever provide heat lamps for kids? I don’t think anyone here does, but our temps are very different.

I just noticed I mixed up breeding for fall kids with breeding for spring kids. :th:lol:

No wonder I thought I was late! Now it all makes sense!! Okay, glad I figured out where I was wrong. I plan to breed them in May-June like you recommended then. For now I will just try track their heats and stuff. Thank you so much guys!

Yeah, sounds cold alright! We don’t ever get snow in Oct. Do you ever provide heat lamps for kids? I don’t think anyone here does, but our temps are very different.
It is! I always use heat lamps during kidding season, but that’s usually February-March when it’s still cold 🥶

Any kids born here mid-April through September would be fine without a heat lamp, but those are prime parasite months of course 🙂

It is! I always use heat lamps during kidding season, but that’s usually February-March when it’s still cold 🥶

Any kids born here mid-April through September would be fine without a heat lamp, but those are prime parasite months of course 🙂
I recommend getting sannen goats because of there milk as well as lamancha! They have a longer lactation period after giving birth! Goat milk is a more rare milk! Goat milk is tasty! It goes together well with ingredients as well! Goat milk is better for your digestive system since the molecule size is smaller! It also has less lactose so its is better for people who are on the lactose intolrent side! But If you just want one as a pet go with NW there good goats!

I know lots of people on BYC own goats! And my family and I are looking into goats this year. Obviously, I want to be prepared before we get them. So far, we are looking into Nigerian Dwarfs and Boer goats. My dad being the one that wants a few meat goats. I am just asking about Nigerian Dwarfs though. Below are a few of my questions. So, first of all, I want to say that we are looking into getting breeding goats, so we want good genetics and a buck. We have stalls to keep them in, so their housing is under control. Feel free to not answer ALL the questions below, as I have lots.

1.) Do you keep a goat spread sheet to keep count on who needs to be bred and their due dates and such?
2.) I know that ND goats tend to get leg issues. So do you have recommended supplements? I know copper is one goats may be deficient in.
3.) Do you recommend getting polled goats?
4.) How often do you deworm your goats if you do?
5.) What are your favorite goat treats?
6.) Do herbal dewormers for goats tend to work? What do you use?
7.) Where did you get your goats? I am planning on asking a few of my neighbors for recommendations, but I am taking lots of opinions.
8.) How many times do you breed a year? How long can you milk a goat after it gives birth/after the babies are fully weaned?
9.) Do you give any special shots? (please include how they are given, otherwise, I would expect they are intermuscular shots given at the shoulder).
10.) This is my current checklist. Any other recommendations?
- Alfalfa (Making up for 90-95% of their diet)
- Mineral blend and baking soda.
- Hoove clipper
- Brush
- Shaver
- Dewormer (need recommendations on what to get, but I can get safeguard and Valbazen.
- A nice bag of shavings
- Birthing supplies. (we will get these later, but planning to get a lot of stuff.)

I have heard you all own ND goats? @CapricornFarm @Everose @JustBabyMargo @Little Baby Bean Please feel free to tag any one else who may help.
FENCING! They are escape artists and much smarter than you may think. Tough wood posts and cattle panels should be good. Bucks are super strong and will escape if they find a weak spot. Also contrary to popular belief they don't eat everything they can actually be quite picky and there's lots of plants they can't eat.

They love to chew stuff though so any wood siding on barns and the bark on trees may get chewed on. Jungle gyms are recommended for their enrichment. Even stuff like large boulders is beneficial for their enrichment and to keep their hooves trimmed down. Remember they love to climb stuff! They are also very food motivated.

Back
Top Bottom