Goat Thread

I was worried you liked getting head-butted!
How's the triplets? I only had one set of triplets this year. I was worried because it was an old mama but she did very well and I didn't have to help out or supplement at all.
Oh no, I definitely didn't like it, but she wasn't that hard to get pass anyways.

Not sure exactly. The goats are not mine. I will get to see the tomorrow though! They belong to my 4H leader/neighbor. He said that the most kids he has had at one time is 6, with 2 stillborn.

Gave them their first hoove trimming yesterday. Luckily I didn't cut too deep.

I also attended my first goat birth yesterday, and I have some pictures to share! Their mama was pretty protective and I got head butted when I was cleaning the kids off. Which is a good thing I think.

She had triplets! 😍View attachment 3015776View attachment 3015784View attachment 3015785

ETA: Just went to check on the goats this morning. I am pretty sure Chestnut went into heat! She is flagging, has mucous, is much louder, and is trying to mount Nutmeg (poor Nutmeg!). Not sure if the mounting part is normal, but the other signs seem to match up.
Aww, congrats! It’s so exciting to see them born! Sounds like a pretty protective momma!

It definitely sounds like Chestnut was in heat. Each doe is a little bit different, but at least the ones that mount the others are easier to tell when it’s time to breed them 🙂

Howdy all!

What are your thoughts on goat baths?? I have no idea if I should be giving them baths or not. I gave them one yesterday (with animal shampoo and conditioner) and their coats are so much cleaner! I just worry about this being an issue in the future (like if I overwash them or something). Would love to hear from some seasoned goat owner. TIA.

@Everose thoughts?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

@Everose thoughts
I'm sure the occasional bath isn't bad, but the bath water temp is a big deal. Goats have a temp of about 101-103 so anything colder will chill them fast. One of my bucklings (on someone else's watch) got stuck in a swamp and was just left there while that "someone" was busy. He got chilled very quickly and he was ill for a few days.
Then I refuse to breed goats late because the kids will be born in humid months, higher humidity gives kids almost instant pneumonia (in the right conditions). Mature goats should be fine, if a bath is necessary, but babies shouldn't be hot and steamy ever.

I brush my girls out regularly and they smell fine. Boys will urinate on their heads and shoulders so they pretty much always stink.
Goats don't like to be muddy, dusty, or wet (not always the case, I know some people who give their goats kiddie pools) so baths should probably be infrequent and mostly unnecessary.

I'm sure the occasional bath isn't bad, but the bath water temp is a big deal. Goats have a temp of about 101-103 so anything colder will chill them fast. One of my bucklings (on someone else's watch) got stuck in a swamp and was just left there while that "someone" was busy. He got chilled very quickly and he was ill for a few days.
Then I refuse to breed goats late because the kids will be born in humid months, higher humidity gives kids almost instant pneumonia (in the right conditions). Mature goats should be fine, if a bath is necessary, but babies shouldn't be hot and steamy ever.

I brush my girls out regularly and they smell fine. Boys will urinate on their heads and shoulders so they pretty much always stink.
Goats don't like to be muddy, dusty, or wet (not always the case, I know some people who give their goats kiddie pools) so baths should probably be infrequent and mostly unnecessary.
Great, thanks! Do you think it would be okay to get them bred at the end of March? Or is that a little late?

Great, thanks! Do you think it would be okay to get them bred at the end of March? Or is that a little late?
I would personally wait until May-June. That way the babies would be born around October which would be mild weather. And she wouldn't be heavily pregnant through the hottest months. I always prefer fall breedings though.

For the doe March would be better. For the kids may-june would better imo.

NDs are different from mini nubians (my goats) in that they can breed whenever. And at petting zoos they seem perfectly healthy that way. I just prefer once a year for the kids, does, and for a better lactation curve.

I would personally wait until May-June. That way the babies would be born around October which would be mild weather. And she wouldn't be heavily pregnant through the hottest months. I always prefer fall breedings though.

For the doe March would be better. For the kids may-june would better imo.

NDs are different from mini nubians (my goats) in that they can breed whenever. And at petting zoos they seem perfectly healthy that way. I just prefer once a year for the kids, does, and for a better lactation curve.
Thank you! Fall breedings as in breeding for kids in spring? So like roughly 150-155 days before April? I don't mind waiting a year either. Chestnut is 55lbs and Nutmeg is 43lbs, are those healthy weights to get bred?

I think I will ask the breeder for some insight too, since CA weather is quite different from Texas. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom