Goat Weaning and Milking HELP!

KadeSilkies21

Chirping
Jul 13, 2017
This should probably be on BYH but anyway here goes...
Tommorrow we are picking up a mother doe and her female kid. The kid is ready to be weaned I am told. They are both Saanen but as I am fairly new to goats, I'm unsure of this weaning process?! If anybody could give me advice or explain exactly what weaning is and how is best do this that would be great!
Also, after the kid is weaned am I able to milk the mother? If so could I milk her once a day? All info on milking and weaning info is highly appreciated!
One more thing, this goat has been previously milked and is about 2 or 3 years old however never on a milking stand. Her previous owner simply tied her up and milked her the old fashioned way ;). My question is would i be able to train her to a stand or not? If so how would I? Thanks!

First of all, how old is this kid? Is it eating hay and grain well? If the kid is at least eight weeks of age and is eating well, just wean it. Put it in a separate pen and that will be that. It may scream for a couple days. Of course you can train the doe to a milking stand. Put grain in the feeder and put her on it. It won't take long for her to figure out that that is where the grain is and she will hop onto the stand by herself. Be sure to vaccinate both of these goats with CD/T if they haven't been vaccinated already. CD/T is to prevent entertoxemia and tetanus. Start milking the doe now. When I had kids running on the doe I used to milk them anyway. Yes, you can milk once a day. Some people do. If her udder gets too tight between milking you will have to milk her twice.

Go to caprinesupply.com and send for their catalog. As well as having a good selection of goat supplies and books, the catalog itself is full of good information. I suggest you purchase one of the goat books for beginners. The Storey books are usually helpful.

I was told by the previous owner of the goats that she has always let hers be naturally weaned? As in the mum does it for her. The kid is a bit over 8 weeks at roughly 12. She eats some grass/hay etc. I would definitely prefer to keep them together rather than seperating them! The We do not have a different area either. Could i let the doe wean her for me? They are like 2 peas in a pod and love each other!

You could try that buy some nannies will let their kids nurse until they're quite a bit older. I have a few Nigerian kids that were born in March that the mamas still haven't weaned off yet :eek:

You don't have to wean the kids unless you want milk. In any event, I suggest you train the doe to a milking stand and milk her daily. I never weaned my Boer kids.

Would it be possible to milk the Mum while she is still feeding her little girl? I do not need a whole heap of milk from her either. What if I seperated the baby at night so I milk in the morning? Would this possibly encourage the mother to wean her kid? Thanks for the quick replies and answers to my questions too! :D

Yes- to do that separate baby from mom for 12 hours overnight then milk mom in the morning before letting the kid back out with her- make sure the kid has food and water wherever you separate. I suppose it could encourage weaning but it hasn't done that for my nannies/kids :)

Sorry for the frustrating newbie questions :duc but I have another one ;). Milking Lucy in the morning would be nearly impossible as I do not have the time. Would it be possible to milk her everyday in the afternoon anywhere after about 3:30? As I said I am not necessarily looking to get a heap of milk so could this work? And if so how?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom