Goats n Grain: The Waiting Game

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
I'm just venting because it's 12:22am here, and it'll be a while until I can sleep.

The goatie girls hot into their grain today because I left it where they could get it. SUCH an IDIOT. So, of course, they ate it all. Probably 8-10 lbs of it between the 4 of them. Must've happened around 6pm. I didn't discover it until 9pm.

And guess which IDIOT doesn't have any c&d antitoxin? This one. And guess which feed stores are open at 9pm on a Sunday? None of them.

So I gave the girls Gas X and baking soda. Hopefully, I staved off bloat. But there's still that threat of entero looming. They are all acting 100% normal, but Sunshine has scours. She had the start of them anyway before all this happened, which is why I was out getting their grain. I was moving it because I wasn't going to give them any until her poop was normal again. I moved it, all right. Moved it where they could get it.

They all were chewing cud tonight and all had good rumen sounds. I gave them their copper and wormed them just yesterday because Sunshine had the start of loose stool.

So now it's the waiting game. I have been going out to the goat house every 30 min to see how they're doing. And you betcha I'm headed to the feed store first thing tomorrow for some antitoxin.

It's going to be a loooong week....

I hope everybody is okay -- including you.

You sound like me every time -- and there have been plenty of times -- I do something "dumb" or don't do something "smart" and then beat myself up for my shortcomings.

My sister and I have a catch phrase for that; we call it "having the dumbz."

However, you are clearly a good goat "mom" and are doing all the right things now. Hope to hear some good news from you, that all are okay and you are getting some rest!

I hope everybody is okay -- including you.

You sound like me every time -- and there have been plenty of times -- I do something "dumb" or don't do something "smart" and then beat myself up for my shortcomings.

My sister and I have a catch phrase for that; we call it "having the dumbz."

However, you are clearly a good goat "mom" and are doing all the right things now. Hope to hear some good news from you, that all are okay and you are getting some rest!
I def had the dumbz lady night...

My hubby and I often say that when you do something really stupid, you're being "dumB" (because you're so dumb, you pronounce the B).

So far, everyone is the same. Except me. I'm exhausted and have more gray hair than I did yesterday.

Oh, the joys of animal husbandry.

Did you find any C&D antitoxin? I have a 4-month-old goat who's had a bad gut since I got her at 10 days old (from a commercial dairy that gave her a bad start). I've tried this entire time to get antitoxin, but as far as I can tell there's none to be had anywhere in the country.

Even OSU vet school's large animal hospital couldn't provide any, because they can't get it, either.

Did you find any C&D antitoxin? I have a 4-month-old goat who's had a bad gut since I got her at 10 days old (from a commercial dairy that gave her a bad start). I've tried this entire time to get antitoxin, but as far as I can tell there's none to be had anywhere in the country.

Even OSU vet school's large animal hospital couldn't provide any, because they can't get it, either.
I got this one. Turns out I didn't need it this time because the girls were fine, but good to have on hand.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...DDxZZqbImKJK22yqNoo7n2BzNYRfI2phoCfb0QAvD_BwE

Do you give probiotics? It's really helped my doe who was always a little off.

Yes, she gets probiotics, but her issues are way past that.

Two weeks ago she had another bad bout of bloat, and then seemed to recover until I gave them all Positive Pellet dewormer. It wasn't as bad as the full-blown bloat session, but a week later she suddenly wasn't able to stand. I took her to the vet school ER, and all her labs were fine, but a week later she's still not back on her feet.

There is only ONE goat vet in this town outside of the university, and (of course) he's on vacation this week and is booked for 3 weeks when he returns. I was finally able to speak to the vet school's goat guy yesterday, and he prescribed meloxicam, which I picked up and started. But he's unavailable for seeing her, too, because there is a 75-mile radius around here with no other goat vets and the university clinic is the state lab/hospital for large animals.

I've tried continuously to get antitoxin for her, but no luck. Did you buy the 250ml size? The 50ml seems unavailable, but that bigger bottle is the ONLY thing I've seen that's actually in stock in the last 4 months.

Yes, she gets probiotics, but her issues are way past that.

Two weeks ago she had another bad bout of bloat, and then seemed to recover until I gave them all Positive Pellet dewormer. It wasn't as bad as the full-blown bloat session, but a week later she suddenly wasn't able to stand. I took her to the vet school ER, and all her labs were fine, but a week later she's still not back on her feet.

There is only ONE goat vet in this town outside of the university, and (of course) he's on vacation this week and is booked for 3 weeks when he returns. I was finally able to speak to the vet school's goat guy yesterday, and he prescribed meloxicam, which I picked up and started. But he's unavailable for seeing her, too, because there is a 75-mile radius around here with no other goat vets and the university clinic is the state lab/hospital for large animals.

I've tried continuously to get antitoxin for her, but no luck. Did you buy the 250ml size? The 50ml seems unavailable, but that bigger bottle is the ONLY thing I've seen that's actually in stock in the last 4 months.
I bought the bigger size.

Wow! You've been through it with this girl! I hope you can figure out what's going on. Scary....

There are a gazillion large animal vets here. I wish I could loan you one. Are you on The Goat Spot site? I've found so much good info and gotten great advice there.

No, I didn't know about that one. I'm on Backyard Herds, but only one person has responded to my posts about this in 3 weeks, and their advice was to put her down and get some healthy goats. :-(

I just joined Goat Spot, so I'm going to post there and see if I can get some help. She's still eating, drinking, peeing and pooping fine, and she can move all her legs and tail. But she can't even recline upright unless I prop her with blankets - it's like she's paralyzed from the neck down except she's not (?). And the vet school checked for spine issues and reflexes and found nothing wrong.

No, I didn't know about that one. I'm on Backyard Herds, but only one person has responded to my posts about this in 3 weeks, and their advice was to put her down and get some healthy goats. :-(
The Goat Spot is as active as this site. I am not on it as much as I should be, but my goats have been good lately. My birds, however, have given me nothing but trouble! HIGHLY recommend joining!

Back
Top Bottom