Gold Silkie x Salmon Faverolle

silas1231

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Hi everyone, I have a spare breeding pen currently, I also have various hens and cockerels running free. I was wondering what the offspring would look like if I crossed my Gold Silkie Cockerel with my 3 Salmon Faverolle hens? Any comments would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Gold Silkie/Salmon Faverolle, interesting cross. Now lets dig into genetics... The offspring would have feathered legs, for sure. Faverolles have a weaker feather-legged gene, but I believe all of the offspring would have feathered legs. As for a crest and beard/muff, I'm guessing at least 25% - 50% of the offspring would possess those traits (not in the same birds, perhaps). It also depends on if your Silkie is bearded or non-bearded; I was assuming you Silkie is non-bearded, but if he is indeed bearded then the offspring with beards coudl be raised to 75% - 100%. The black skin gene of silkies is dominant, so the offspring would all have black skin, legs, bones and flesh. For a comb, Silkies have walnut combs and Faverolles have single comb, so lots of possibilities there, depending on the genetic combinations for walnut combs have many. My estimation is that 75% of the offspring will have walnut combs, and 25% single combs. None of the offspring will have the down-like feathers of the Silkie; which lack feather barbs. However, the five-toe gene of Silkies is dominant, so the offspring would have five toes.

The feather color is often hard to determine, because of so many different combinations, etc. I'm not even going to begin to try to understand it. Gold is an incomplete dominant, I believe, so the offspring would be buff/gold, I believe. Hope this helps!

I'm not positive, but I think this will make a sex link cross. Assuming your gold rooster is actually buff, that is. A buff Orpington rooster over a salmon Faverolle hen makes a sex link, so this should do the same. The buff genes make the chick harder to sex by down color, but when they feather in males should be white and females gold.

Don't take this as gospel but I think they may be sex linked by leg color also. Males will get white skin/shank color and females will get the black.

I plan to do this same cross later this summer and would love to know if these bear out. Can you keep us updated?

Here are my two chicks from a black Silkie roo & Salmon Faverolle hen/s, at 4 weeks... (hatched out by a Silkie, of course.) They're really cute and I can't wait to see what they're going to look like when they're grown. I'll try to get some updated pictures soon.

Attachments

• PXL_20200912_223111663.jpg
    PXL_20200912_223111663.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 115

Back
Top Bottom