Golden Comet Chickens, HELP!

So if I have a rooster golden comet and a hen golden comet can I breed them to get more or do I have to actually cross a deleware and a R.I.R?

They are a Golden Sex Link and sex links do not breed true. So you can breed them but you won't be able to tell sex by coloring at hatch.

From my understanding the Golden Comet is just one of the names for Golden Sex links. Other names are Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen and I think there are a few others. There are a couple crosses that different hatcheries use to get the Golden Sex Link. This is my girl, Luna. She is a 7 week old Golden Buff (Meyers Hatchery's variety of Golden Sex Link). She is my favorite. Affectionate, curious, brave and top chick without being mean to the others.

WE HAVE GOLDEN COMETS, THEY ARE TIMID, GREAT PETS, THEY ARE EGGS AND MEAT, OURS ACTUALLY SQUAT DOWN , IF THEY ARE CHOOED BACK INSIDE THE PEN.
THE OTHER DAY MY HUSBAND LET THEM OUT IN THE YARD AND A LARGE CHICKEN HAWK FLEW OVER THE PEN,
THEY SCAMBLED FOR COVER NONE WERE GOTTEN.

THE GOLDEN COMET IS ALSO BRED FROM THE HARDY RHODE ISLAND REDS, THAT WAS WHAT WE WERE LOOKING FOR .
WE GOT THESE AS PULLETS AND THEY ARE GREAT LAYERS, THEY EAT REALLY GOOD. LAYER CRUMBLES, SCRATCH GRAINS, WE ALSO GET THEM THE BLOCK, AND MOST ANYTHING THEY LOVE TO SCRATCH FOR BUGS.

STRAW IN THE COOP CLEAN AND THEY CAN HANDLE TALL OR LOW ROOST. GOOD LUCK AND IF YOU ARE ON THE PC YOU CAN FIND OUT MORE.

I had read (wish I could remember where!!) that Golden Comets are more prone to respiratory illness and death than others. If I find that post again, I will share.

I have been very careful to keep my coop as clean and dry as possible. I let the temps stay cool as long as the chickens look comfortable. Birds actually have built in mechanisms to shed heat because they overheat too quickly. Warm, moist temperatures are a bacteria's breeding paradise. I also haven't sealed the coop completely to allow for fresh air. If the ground is not snow-covered, I open their little door to come and go as well.

You may already know all of this, but figured it couldn't hurt to share what I do in "The Best Little Henhouse in Cambridge" with my whopping flock of 6. ha ha!!

I had 16 Golden Comets ,sadly all of them have died from cancer after they laid eggs year round, & after two years of age that was their expiration date sadly .I named all my girls & I lost every one except Violet who was hurt in an accident & knock on wood is still with me ! I will never buy another Golden Comet as long as I keep pets & hens , I have a Roadie & she has out lived them all ! But my comets were bread just to lay eggs & die ! I really got attached to them . They are very sweet birds & very personal also easy to train , . They are very smart much smarter then a lot pf people think ! I just wanted to let people know that these birds have a very short life span & they get sick & die no matter what you do to try to save them , It is a Genetic trait engineered into them for mass production of brown Eggs .

My girl is sick don't know what's wrong please someone tell me what to do. She's 2years old and won't roost and stands around in one spot for hours. I just brought her inside and put her in a cage. She hasn't been eating or drinking much I gave her a warm bath the other day and got the poop off her bottom and flies came out of it yuck. Could she have parasites in her or worms.

ncymst, you may want to research a condition called "fly strike". Poultry poop vents are very succeptible to infestation as it provides everything flies require for breeding. The "Chicken Chick" blog provides a pretty comprehensive ruin down on the condition & how to treat it. Good luck!

ncymst, you may want to research a condition called "fly strike". Poultry poop vents are very succeptible to infestation as it provides everything flies require for breeding. The "Chicken Chick" blog provides a pretty comprehensive ruin down on the condition & how to treat it. Good luck!
I checked her bottom it looks healthy. I read about fly strike. She was attacked last Tuesday by a coon and part of her comb was torn off. Tonight I was trying to feed her a piece of bread and she was pecking at the air like she couldn't find it. She also pecked the water bucket till she found it. Could a comb ripped off affect her eye sight? I'm wondering if that's her problem. Her eyes look clear and fine but it's weird I don't know. I got her to drink and eat some bread. It's late so I will give her some feed in the am

I had 16 Golden Comets ,sadly all of them have died from cancer after they laid eggs year round, & after two years of age that was their expiration date sadly .I named all my girls & I lost every one except Violet who was hurt in an accident & knock on wood is still with me ! I will never buy another Golden Comet as long as I keep pets & hens , I have a Roadie & she has out lived them all ! But my comets were bread just to lay eggs & die ! I really got attached to them . They are very sweet birds & very personal also easy to train , . They are very smart much smarter then a lot pf people think ! I just wanted to let people know that these birds have a very short life span & they get sick & die no matter what you do to try to save them , It is a Genetic trait engineered into them for mass production of brown Eggs .

I have a small flock of 5, with just one Golden Comet. She died out of the blue 3 weeks ago at just under 2.5 years of age. Just fell off her perch one morning, dead. I have no idea why, but I am wondering since reading your post if it could have been cancer. How can you tell? I inspected her body and could find nothing glaring wrong. She'd had had a bad moult and may have been just slightly underweight, but nothing obvious was wrong. She'd been acting perfectly normal just the day before. She hadn't laid eggs regularly since the spring. I think she laid 1 all summer. Before that she was a powerhouse, as most GC's are.

I am heartbroken because, as others have mentioned, this breed is incredibly affectionate. She was by far my favorite little hen. Loved to be held and cuddled; had a very sweet personality. I name all my girls after old movie stars: she was Greta Garbo :)

Could have been heart related. Sometimes chickens just die from that sudden death thing. We've had that happen a couple of times. What are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom