Golden comet offspring

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
So I have golden comets hens and a golden comet rooster. I just started incubating some of their eggs and I know the babies will not be sex link but I was wondering what they may look like. I've been looking around but there seems to be no information on it. Has anyone hatched eggs from this breed? I'd love to see pics!

I mean, I am assuming this is a golden comet rooster since all the girls are. But I could be wrong lol. I'm not sure how the babies will turn out
20230214_160505.jpg

What do you mean by chaos??
GC are hybrids. Whenever you cross hybrids with hybrids, you get chaos. You could have somthing that looks a lot like a RiR, something that looks a lot like a White Rock, and absolutely everything in between.

|and yes, looks like a Roo to me.

So used to people buying sexed Comets, if didn't occur to me that people would be buying Comets from backyard breeders.

I've bought ISA Brown day-old pullets and cockerels direct from Hoover hatchery. Hens look the same as Golden Comets, and my ISA Brown roosters look exactly like your Comet rooster. From the cross, most of the offspring (both male and female) will resemble the coloring of your Comet hens, but with a little more white feathers mixed with the red. Some of the cockerels will be colored like your rooster, mostly white with red on the wings. I also got some solid white pullets from this cross, and a few solid black birds both male and female. Egg color of offspring is generally a lighter brown than the original ISA Browns, but the hens lay well and both male and female offspring have nice gentle temperments. I think you will get similiar results with your cross.

GC are hybrids. Whenever you cross hybrids with hybrids, you get chaos. You could have somthing that looks a lot like a RiR, something that looks a lot like a White Rock, and absolutely everything in between.

|and yes, looks like a Roo to me.

So used to people buying sexed Comets, if didn't occur to me that people would be buying Comets from backyard breeders.
After reading a little more I found out that the males are usually discarded?! I did not know that. I assumed when I bought these that the guy had gotten them from a hatchery and was reselling them. I could be wrong. Either way I don't know how I ended up with this rooster, I guess he is lucky! And thank you for the info about what colors they could be. I am so excited for them to hatch and see what I've got.

I've bought ISA Brown day-old pullets and cockerels direct from Hoover hatchery. Hens look the same as Golden Comets, and my ISA Brown roosters look exactly like your Comet rooster. From the cross, most of the offspring (both male and female) will resemble the coloring of your Comet hens, but with a little more white feathers mixed with the red. Some of the cockerels will be colored like your rooster, mostly white with red on the wings. I also got some solid white pullets from this cross, and a few solid black birds both male and female. Egg color of offspring is generally a lighter brown than the original ISA Browns, but the hens lay well and both male and female offspring have nice gentle temperments. I think you will get similiar results with your cross.
I wonder where the black color came from. That is pretty interesting. I guess isa browns and golden comets are pretty much the same thing? I've seen photos and they look exactly the same to me. I'm thinking they have a few different names for the red sex links but they could be made with the same breeds?

Back
Top Bottom