Golden comet offspring

Even though ISA Browns look like all the other red feathered-with-white-underfeathers red sexlinks, ISA Browns are a proprietary hybrid. They are a secret mix of several breeds, and can't be made by crossing two breeds like the other red sexlinks can. (Yes many hatcheries make their own red sexlink crosses and call them Golden Comets, Red Stars, etc.) Hatcheries buy ISA Brown eggs direct from the proprietary owner; they cannot create an ISA Brown through their own breeding.

While this may all sound "elitist" since in appearance ISA Browns resemble all the other red sexlinks, I've had ISA Browns, Golden Sexlinks, Red Stars, & red sexlinks resulting from a New Hampshire/Delaware cross. While all are great layers, eggs from ISA Browns are the most beautiful, rich golden brown of all, & egg size reaches jumbo within 6 months of POL. I sell eggs at a farmers market, so those are the reasons I only buy true ISA Browns as day old chicks now.

Even though ISA Browns look like all the other red feathered-with-white-underfeathers red sexlinks, ISA Browns are a proprietary hybrid. They are a secret mix of several breeds, and can't be made by crossing two breeds like the other red sexlinks can. (Yes many hatcheries make their own red sexlink crosses and call them Golden Comets, Red Stars, etc.) Hatcheries buy ISA Brown eggs direct from the proprietary owner; they cannot create an ISA Brown through their own breeding.

While this may all sound "elitist" since in appearance ISA Browns resemble all the other red sexlinks, I've had ISA Browns, Golden Sexlinks, Red Stars, & red sexlinks resulting from a New Hampshire/Delaware cross. While all are great layers, eggs from ISA Browns are the most beautiful, rich golden brown of all, & egg size reaches jumbo within 6 months of POL. I sell eggs at a farmers market, so those are the reasons I only buy true ISA Browns as day old chicks now.
I had no idea! I assumed they were like all the other sex links. I will have to do more research. Do they lay as much as the others? My one gc has given me eggs for 7 days straight this week!

I had no idea! I assumed they were like all the other sex links. I will have to do more research. Do they lay as much as the others? My one gc has given me eggs for 7 days straight this week!
In theory, true ISA browns outproduce GCs - though its basically "the same" bird in many cases, the ISAs are simply from superior breed stock to the typical hathery production red.

After reading a little more I found out that the males are usually discarded?! I did not know that.
Actually, any time you see all pullets of a breed show up for sale at a feedstore, that means the male chicks were culled at the hatchery. But yes, while other breeds are sometimes shipped as straight runs, red sexlinks almost never are. Only once have I ever seen red sexlinks show up as straight run at my local tractor supply store. This was several years ago, and I was so confused that I asked the tractor supply which hatchery they used, then called that hatchery myself to verify that they had in fact shipped straight-run red sexlink chicks. Boy I bet the people who bought the white/yellow chicks were upset when they later found out that a white sexlink chick is always a boy!

Yes ISA Browns lay an egg nearly every single day during their first year of laying, 300+ eggs their first year. Theirs are the brown eggs most commonly found in groceries stores, and chicks don't cost any more than other red sex links. But please don't get me wrong; I think you will be very happy with your golden comet progeny. I was satisfied with All the red sexlink varieties I've had; I just noticed after comparisons that ISA Browns were my top preference.

In theory, true ISA browns outproduce GCs - though its basically "the same" bird in many cases, the ISAs are simply from superior breed stock to the typical hathery production red.
Below is basic info about the ISA Brown proprietary "secret sauce" from Wickapedia, but the info is also found on many other sites. The big difference is the ISA Brown has many breeds in its mix, while other red sexlinks are a cross from only 2 other breeds. I did a lot of research on ISA Browns when I started seeing (imo) that their eggs were a cut above other red sexlink eggs. I've also crossed the ISAs with Easter Eggers to get big green eggs. Many of those progeny have red sexlink hen coloring, but with blue feet and feathered cheeks and beards.😄 Again, have fun with your golden comet crosses; as I've enjoyed crossing my ISA Browns!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISA_Brown

So I have golden comets hens and a golden comet rooster. I just started incubating some of their eggs and I know the babies will not be sex link but I was wondering what they may look like. I've been looking around but there seems to be no information on it. Has anyone hatched eggs from this breed? I'd love to see pics!
I'd love to see them when they hatch! 🙂

We have a baby!
20230303_101228.jpg

Back
Top Bottom