Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Just got two of these beauties today in the mail along with some silkies and salmon faverolles. I'm sooo excited!!! I think this breed is BEAUTIFUL!

CONGRATS!!!
love.gif

mine were 11 months old no sign of laying so i processed them. I wouldn't expect an egg this year from them.

With the redness of the comb and wattels the indications are that it might start laying soon. Forgive me but I think you're wrong or I hope you're wrong.

The golden laced Wyandotte: 19 weeks old still hasn't laid, expecting her to around 22 weeks.
I have to say something about the expectation of eggs at 22 weeks. While it is true that hatchery "heritage" breeds will often lay earlier than quality breeding stock, to expect a heritage breed to be laying at 22 weeks- let alone 19 weeks- is forgetting in a way what kind of birds these are meant to be. They are not supposed to be Leghorns or sexlinks. To expect a dual purpose heritage breed to be producing eggs at 5 months is early; many won't lay till they reach 6 or even 7 months. While I've had some that start laying during their 5th month, I consider that a bonus and don't worry about it if a pullet takes her time.

I have to say something about the expectation of eggs at 22 weeks. While it is true that hatchery "heritage" breeds will often lay earlier than quality breeding stock, to expect a heritage breed to be laying at 22 weeks- let alone 19 weeks- is forgetting in a way what kind of birds these are meant to be. They are not supposed to be Leghorns or sexlinks. To expect a dual purpose heritage breed to be producing eggs at 5 months is early; many won't lay till they reach 6 or even 7 months. While I've had some that start laying during their 5th month, I consider that a bonus and don't worry about it if a pullet takes her time. 

Well it would not devastate me if they didn't start laying at 22 weeks, but it would be nice. I am only basing this on my previous years batch. I had three leghorn a road Island red and the barred rock. The Laghorn started laying at 20 weeks which we will exclude from this comparison because it's specifically laying breed. On the other hand the Rhode Island red and the barred rock started laying at 21 weeks and the barred rock is very similar breed to the Wyandottes. That more than anything is what I'm basing my prediction on.

Well it would not devastate me if they didn't start laying at 22 weeks, but it would be nice. I am only basing this on my previous years batch. I had three leghorn a road Island red and the barred rock. The Laghorn started laying at 20 weeks which we will exclude from this comparison because it's specifically laying breed. On the other hand the Rhode Island red and the barred rock started laying at 21 weeks and the barred rock is very similar breed to the Wyandottes. That more than anything is what I'm basing my prediction on.
Understand, and totally agree that it's exciting if you can get eggs by 22 weeks. I posted my answer because this is a Gold Laced Wyandotte forum, and I hope some people are going for the true-to-breed standard birds, and you just can't expect them to produce like the hatchery birds. Hatcheries have taken Barred Rocks, Wyandottes (Silver and Gold), and Rhode Island Reds and made them into production birds without any thought to the standard or original purpose of the breeds. But nothing personal- I have some hatchery stock (for egg production) and always hope for eggs at an early age. Best of luck :).

Last edited:
Understand, and totally agree that it's exciting if you can get eggs by 22 weeks. I posted my answer because this is a Gold Laced Wyandotte forum, and I hope some people are going for the true-to-breed standard birds, and you just can't expect them to produce like the hatchery birds. Hatcheries have taken Barred Rocks, Wyandottes (Silver and Gold), and Rhode Island Reds and made them into production birds without any thought to the standard or original purpose of the breeds. But nothing personal- I have some hatchery stock (for egg production) and always hope for eggs at an early age. Best of luck :).

I totally agree and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Just to throw my 2 cents in on laying age: I don't look for pullet bullets until just before the six month old mark, and I am the weirdo who is crossing breeder stock with hatchery stock. The hatchery hens I have (from Ideal and Cackle) didn't start laying until almost six months old, so 23-26 weeks old. Then again, I selected out the widest and biggest pullets to keep for breeding - my neighbor bought some of the smaller ones and said hers started laying a little earlier than mine did. From watching my P generations and the first batch of my F1s, I'd say the pullet needs to be approximately 75% of her eventual adult size before she starts to lay.

Back
Top Bottom