Golf Balls and Decoys

LN2008

Songster
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Larryville, KS
I added a few golf balls to my nesting boxes. Does this actually work? Do I eventually have to remove them after they start laying?

I heard that too... So i tried it.. I put a few here and a few there.. (various boxes) no luck.. my girls still prefer to find a dark corner to lay..

eventually i gave up and let them lay where ever they wanted.. turned out to be under the workbench/table that a few of the boxes were on.. I moved the box under the table and everyone is happy.. I cant tell you how many times i tried to show them the golf ball eggs and where they "belong".. Plastic easter eggs didnt work neither did the porceline eggs.. but some people have success with them.. I just dont know the trick..
smile.png

I had success with easter eggs filled with crumpled paper (to add little weight). But one gal has made her own nesting box below my "official" boxes and will only lay eggs there!

Our girls were out roaming the first time one decided to lay, so that night we put a box in their run with two fake wooden eggs - it's been the go to spot every day since then, and just today when chicken #2 decided to start adding her egg too, laid it in the box. We also don't let them out to range often (actually against city ordinance where we are) and never until after the morning egg has been laid. That may have something to do with it.

I added plastic easter eggs filled with a little dirt and taped in my nesting boxes before mine started laying. Ever since they started laying they go to the nesting boxes. Only one of my girls laid underneath a pile of wood and she only did it once. Ever since then I stopped letting them free range until late in the afternoon. But two lay in the morning and one lays close to the evening. But she always goes back into the coop in a nesting box and lays her eggs
smile.png
Like I said I added my decoy eggs before they started laying. I have 3 hens and 7 laying boxes so they can pic and chose normally they lay in the same exact one every time.

I used the ceramic eggs. My girls free range and the ones that are laying eggs all lay in the boxes in the coop. So...... I would say it works.
thumbsup.gif

I used decoys and they still seemed to plop an egg out random, then one day about 24 weeks old the hit the box consistently. I leave 1 decoy in each set of boxes now, I only get eggs in multiple boxes with first gathering on days off, afternoon gathering can bet money individual layers go and lay with the decoy.
ya.gif
. I don't know what changed but I am glad.

Back
Top Bottom