Golf Balls and Decoys

I've got one that want to be broody and she's trying to hatch those golf balls because I took her eggs away. I take her out of the nest box andput her on the roost at night but in the morning she hops right back in there and growls at any hen who wants to use that box

I've done the golf ball thing to no avail... the dig a nest in the corning in the coop and lay in their dug out spots outside... I even removed the golf balls and still nothing. My hubby built me beautiful exterior nesting boxes and I still have yet to even see one stand in them.

we use golf balls and it has worked well for us. I have only found 1 egg on the coop floor and that is when they started. Sometimes they lay with the golf balls and some in the nest with no golf balls. I think whoever is first to lay for the day sets the rest up! I think we're pretty lucky that they lay in the nests:)

I never bothered with decoy eggs. My girls used to sleep in their nest boxes until they started laying, and since then they've slept on the roosts and laid in the nests with no help or guidance from me. Unless they start to drop eggs in weird places I trust them to lay eggs where they feel is safest and comfiest for them, and I make sure that their nests fit the bill.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom