Good Quail feeder for cage setup?

We use these 3-lb feed capacity hanging feeders with dividers from premier1supplies and the quails don't waste any of the food at all. We refill every 3-4 days for a breeding group of 5.

I make mine , using 2 in. pvc pipe .Lay it flat on its side and cut a 1 in. opening , from end to end .glue a test plug ,or end cap onto ea. end Lay it on a 4 inch wide 1 x 4 , stick a couple screws from the inside through the pvc and the board (the board is just to keep it from rolling. Fill it with feed , and the curved walls will keep them from raking the feed out .You can make them as wide as your pen ,or as wide as you need them . I also use a plastic bleach jug ,with the bottom cut out ,( like a funnel ) to fill the feeder. the neck of the jug will fit into the opening of the feeder. Fill up the bleach jug ,hold your finger over the opening ,stick it in one end of the trough slide it to the other end ,fills it perfectly ,without any spillage .

This is what we use to water our adult quail. Right now my quail are in brooder totes during the winter but the water bottles in their summer cages sit in a metal bracket that hooks to the outside of the cage. (the one shown is an inside mount version) The lids on the bottles unscrew to fill from the top.

a pringles can cut along the center, say 2 inches wide, will feed my group of four quail for two days.
any long round can will work. i have three, one has feed, one has oyster shell, one has alfalfa meal.

OK, here's my setup:

This is a close up of the plastic rings stretched across the rabbit feeder.  I stretch the bottom two rings down the front and "hook" them over the bottom two points of the rabbit feeder.  Then I stretch the back two rings across the back of the feeder and tie behind it with bailing wire.  As you can see there is little to no waste under the cage from the feeder area.
feeder.jpg

You can see where I tied the back two rings together behind the feeder.  I also used the ends of the bailing wire to run under the bottom of  the feeder and catch the front two rings, pulling them tight.
feederback.jpg

I usually fill the feeder all the way to the top, but I DON'T push the food down so that it goes to the very top of the feeder opening inside the cage.  The bailing wire around the top back of the feeder is just to keep my kids from  pulling the feeder out and letting the quail out accidentally.
feedertop.jpg

Back view of all four cages.  The "SmartWater" water bottles work really well in the pop bottle waterers.  They are one liter but very skinny and tall (unlike most 1 liter bottles).
Cageback.jpg

My chickens checking out the food situation for the quail.  This is another reason why I have closed food containers for the quail!  /img/smilies/tongue.png
Curiousneighbors.jpg

Hope this helps.

Hello do you mind sharing the size of your quail cage.

I get old water bottles, cut TINY holes in them, and then make the holes bigger and younger by using a match. But I do it in a well ventilated area;)

Back
Top Bottom