Good treats for baby chicks?

I had to get my husband's tarantula crickets this past week and I bought extra to give to the chicks. They were absolutely terrified of them at first! But of course once one was brave enough to go after one it was a free for all! Those poor crickets didn't have chance!

Mealworms bite!!! I have lots of them in my compost pile. I picked one up to give to my chicks and it bit the crap out of my finger drawing blood! Rip the head of before giving live ones to chickens. Suckers are nasty and mean!
Use caution with feeding young chicks mealworms...I have read in posts here before that if you don't cut off the worms head it can do damage to the stomach of the chick.

The Tractor Supply here sells chick grit - I've been giving mine some of that.

Last night I gave some mealworms - the silly babies didn't get the idea that they were food right away. Then I "accidentally" opened the package of small crickets that I got at Petco. My 11 babies had 36 of those things gone in a matter of moments. They then started digging through the shavings and found some of the mealworms. Then it was a free-for-all. The mealworms kind of freak me out, but if the kids like them, then they'll get them.

I also grabbed some clover leaves from the yard so they could try some green veggies. It took them a while to turn on to them too, but they were all gone this morning! (We don't fertilize our yard or put any chemicals out there, so I figured it was safe!)

These kids are SO much fun - I'm hooked!
th.gif
Please, Lord, keep me from going overboard with this!!!

I hear that!! I picked my babies us yesterday...I can't stop watching them. I want to give them a million treats!! ( I don't, but I want to) any suggestions for toys while they're in the brooder??

This is my first experience with any type of chickens :) We purchased them on Saturday and they were just a few days old. I only purchased a small bag of starter feed (I have just taught myself a lesson lol) Chicks eat A LOT! Since the closest feed store is 30 minutes or more away I came here looking for other things I can feed my week or so old chicks til I get to the store later this evening. So far this morning I have chopped up a tomato...this was a no go. They don't like it at all. A few of the chicks pecked at it but then shook their heads as if they were saying "eww gross"! Then I put a slice of whole wheat bread in their make shift coop and all they do is walk over it
hmm.png

Right now I am boiling a few eggs and if that doesn't work I may try spaghetti too. I'd hate for them to go hungry but they are scratching around in their bedding and pecking away so I am certain they have some leftover feed down in there.
Reading this thread has given me some great ideas to try! This has been a great experience and the whole Family has enjoyed these chicks so much! Can't wait to start building the coop too!! Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge!!

~Melissa

Try just the yolk of the hard boiled egg first. Mash it up. It's funny because when they are young and you put something new in, a lot of times it takes them a while to try it.... and really all it takes is one chicken... then the rest will follow ;)

Introduced our 5 week old chicks to cooked oatmeal & yogurt this morning. The pushing & shoving was a riot. I'll never understand why they insist on standing in it though. :rolleyes:

Mealworms bite!!! I have lots of them in my compost pile. I picked one up to give to my chicks and it bit the crap out of my finger drawing blood! Rip the head of before giving live ones to chickens. Suckers are nasty and mean!

I'd heard the same thing - we cut their heads off before giving them to our almost 4-weekers. I've never had a mealworm bite me in all my years of fishing, but I didn't want to take a chance on one of the babies having issues from it.

Another treat idea - fresh yellow squash. Mine love it. I cut slices and then slice them into six pie-shaped pieces. Thirty babies in a brooder going after those squash slices = hilarious

Back
Top Bottom