Good treats for baby chicks?

Hi Chart, my chickens want to dine at your house, me too! Kada I don't know what butterworms are. I tried giving mine dried earthworms after a hard rain, they seemed insulted and wouldn't even touch them. They also do not like dried mealworms.

Hi Chart, my chickens want to dine at your house, me too! Kada I don't know what butterworms are. I tried giving mine dried earthworms after a hard rain, they seemed insulted and wouldn't even touch them. They also do not like dried mealworms.

I order worms for my bearded Dragon at Mullberryfarms.com and he loves the butterwoms, just wasnt sure if they would be safe for the chicks, they are just small little red/orange worms. here is the website info about them.

http://www.mulberryfarms.com/BUTTERWORMS-c42/

OK! What are you waiting for? I don't know what butterworms are, either. They sound a little gross. I thought the mealworms sounded like a treat until someone said they BITE! I'm sorry, can't rip the heads off, what if they bite me? Let's not go there...

So... You have an invitation, even if the head of the table is inhabited by chickens. Mine were insulted today by grated carrots. Can you see it now? Candles and all. Let's let them be the rulers... O hell, I'm just a pushover!

Haven't been bitten too many times by mealworms, but I cut their heads off to be sure. I guess from all the years of fishing and hunting I'm a little desensitized to worm gore :p

Plain redworms and night crawlers are good, too. I make sure to give them grit for anything I would have to chew, and they love that just as much as they do the treats.

Mine will not touch anything freeze dried or already dead...so the packaged stuff is already out of the question! lol

I figure the more we spoil them with healthy treats, not only will they love us more, they'll produce good, healthy eggs and meat down the road :)

Okay so we gave the babes Yoghurt ............. right that went on the floor with all the other treats they won't eat.
A little bit splashed on the side of the brooder, and they went crazy to get at it.
I scooped up the fallen yoghurt stuck it to the wall and a frenzy of breaks and bodies all over it.
One little one worked out if she holds her beak open and runs along the side with head in yoghurt she can get a good beak full.
She has to run faster than any sprinter to get away though.
They are still pecking at the wall in case a little may be left there.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
wink.png

Okay so we gave the babes Yoghurt ............. right that went on the floor with all the other treats they won't eat.
A little bit splashed on the side of the brooder, and they went crazy to get at it.
I scooped up the fallen yoghurt stuck it to the wall and a frenzy of breaks and bodies all over it.
One little one worked out if she holds her beak open and runs along the side with head in yoghurt she can get a good beak full.
wink.png
yuckyuck.gif

wink.png
very very funny. My girls hated the yogurt...wiping their beaks on the bedding...ugh...they loved the worms my niece dug for them in the yard. Holy tug of war batman!! I gave them tiny bits of salad greens last night but were not cool with it unless I handed it to them tiny bit by tiny bit. Spoiled...yep....I am having more fun with these girls than I ever thought possible. Looks like I'll have to spread some yogurt on the walls now. Thanks for the tip...hahahaha.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I'm new to this. I haven't got my chicks yet I wanted to learn as much as possible. I was wondering what I all need to get when I get them? Like what is the best food? Are like other animals where I need to slowly introduce food if they are not on the same one?

Back
Top Bottom