Goose Egg Incubation

I know that my ducks pretty much learned themselves how to eat, but he doesn't have a lot of interest with his starter. If I put a piece of grass with little blooms in his brooder, he goes crazy trying to get the blooms off. When a moth flies in, he eats them, but when he grabs his food, he shakes his head, spitting it out. I'm sure this will change, because when I put my finger in the water then stick it in the food, he eats a little. So I guess that he will just have to get used to mixing his food in water...making a mess.

That is helpful to know I was worried my African weren't going to hatch but I laid him down three days before 28 will they be ok

I know that my ducks pretty much learned themselves how to eat, but he doesn't have a lot of interest with his starter. If I put a piece of grass with little blooms in his brooder, he goes crazy trying to get the blooms off. When a moth flies in, he eats them, but when he grabs his food, he shakes his head, spitting it out. I'm sure this will change, because when I put my finger in the water then stick it in the food, he eats a little. So I guess that he will just have to get used to mixing his food in water...making a mess.

Give him a mirror that he can't cut himself on so he can look at himself it does help and a stuffed animal to cuddle with since they are flock animals they like to be with others even when first hatched.

Keep showing him the feed he'll learn by example putting it on your finger is a good idea since mama is the one who shows them food and water.

That is helpful to know I was worried my African weren't going to hatch but I laid him down three days before 28 will they be ok

Give him a mirror that he can't cut himself on so he can look at himself it does help and a stuffed animal to cuddle with since they are flock animals they like to be with others even when first hatched.

Keep showing him the feed he'll learn by example putting it on your finger is a good idea since mama is the one who shows them food and water.

When I came in from school this afternoon, I could tell that he had discovered his food. He already looks like he has doubled in size. He's getting a lot better at just following me, but I have to do the "hey, hey, hey, hey, hey" every few seconds to keep his attention. Here he was this afternoon:

When I came in from school this afternoon, I could tell that he had discovered his food. He already looks like he has doubled in size. He's getting a lot better at just following me, but I have to do the "hey, hey, hey, hey, hey" every few seconds to keep his attention. Here he was this afternoon:

You might want to give him something better to eat out of our water fowl aren't chickens and their bills being wider have a harder time with chick feeders plus he needs something to be able to dunk his head in to clean his nares and eyes . Look how tiny he looks compared to you so precious.

I hope your still going to get another gosling he really needs a buddy. It has to be so lonely all day while your at school. Did you give him a stuffed animal to cuddle with?

Glad to hear he has found the feed and water.

I'll get you a pic of a real simple water container you can make.

LL
You can put small stones in the bottom to keep him from tipping it over and make the hole large enough he can stick his head in with out getting stuck but your going to have to enlarge the hold often they grow so fast. Main thing you don't want him climbing inside and not being able to get out.

Last edited:
I tried the stuffed animal thing, but he seemed scared of it, so I took it out. However, the waterer and feeder are just temporary. They were just hast minute things... He has already grown so much!!! I'd post a pic of him now, but it's rainy now and I can't get good lighting in the garage. Here's one from earlier:

I tried the stuffed animal thing, but he seemed scared of it, so I took it out. However, the waterer and feeder are just temporary. They were just hast minute things... He has already grown so much!!! I'd post a pic of him now, but it's rainy now and I can't get good lighting in the garage. Here's one from earlier:
What an adorable gosling.. Are you feeding chick starter/ if you are you need to supplement his/her feed with some Nutritional yeast. They don't get near enough B3[niacin] in chick starter and they have have leg problems lameness from it. Dosage 1 Tablespoon of NY per cup of feed. till at least 10 weeks old. How about a mirror.Mine love to look at themselves in the mirror I still have one in my Runners house. Nutritional yeast can be found on line or at natural food store.

I have him on an organic chick starter (DUMOR to be exact). I have not added any supplemental ingredients to provide him with niacin, but I'll definitely look into that. He also eats lots of grass seeds when walking through the yard, and the occasional moth when it flies into his brooder. I'll put in a mirror tomorrow morning. Thanks for all of the help while I've been hatching this goose. Here is a pic of him from just a few minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom