Goose Egg Incubation

I was not able to get rid of my turkey poults today, so that means that my brooder that I was going to put the gosling in is occupied until tomorrow. What I'm planning on doing is moving him into the large incubator while I'm at school, and set the temperature at 89°F. Does this sound like it would work?

**Yes, I will have food and water in the incubator with him.

I was not able to get rid of my turkey poults today, so that means that my brooder that I was going to put the gosling in is occupied until tomorrow. What I'm planning on doing is moving him into the large incubator while I'm at school, and set the temperature at 89°F. Does this sound like it would work?

**Yes, I will have food and water in the incubator with him.

I'd lower the temp to 85 though in an incubator he can't get out of the heat if he gets too warm. More pics when you get time.

He did great in the incubator today, and I'd love to post more pictures now, but he is a little...ya know...wet. He discovered water, and just how fun it is to play in. I took him out, and the top of him is dry, but the bottom of him is soaked. He can walk now, and he followed me around my bedroom until I put him back in the other incubator to dry. In an hour or so, I'll try to get some pics of him posted.

He did great in the incubator today, and I'd love to post more pictures now, but he is a little...ya know...wet. He discovered water, and just how fun it is to play in. I took him out, and the top of him is dry, but the bottom of him is soaked. He can walk now, and he followed me around my bedroom until I put him back in the other incubator to dry. In an hour or so, I'll try to get some pics of him posted.
pop.gif

Here is him in his new brooder:

I have a few concerns about him:

1. I went by my feed store today, and they are not getting another shipment of geese in until June 5th.
1f629.png
However, I'm planning on spending a lot of time with him.

2. I took him through the yard today (just to build a little leg strength). He followed me all the way around my house...until he saw the grown ducks. He sat still and cheeped for a minute, like he was deciding who to follow. Then he left me for the ducks. Why did he do this?? I thought I was the "mother". Is this normal? I want him to imprint on me, not them.

I understand that he is really only 1.5 days old, but will he eventually just stick with me, or will he pull away, going for the ducks?

Here is him in his new brooder:

I have a few concerns about him:

1. I went by my feed store today, and they are not getting another shipment of geese in until June 5th.
1f629.png
However, I'm planning on spending a lot of time with him.

2. I took him through the yard today (just to build a little leg strength). He followed me all the way around my house...until he saw the grown ducks. He sat still and cheeped for a minute, like he was deciding who to follow. Then he left me for the ducks. Why did he do this?? I thought I was the "mother". Is this normal? I want him to imprint on me, not them.

I understand that he is really only 1.5 days old, but will he eventually just stick with me, or will he pull away, going for the ducks?
The ducks were interesting and looked similar to him. Be careful with him being so tiny and young make sure to walk slow don't make him run after you. You are his mother. June the 5th is just around the corner. Be careful also the ducks don't injure him . Was your temps warm enough for him to be outside. So tiny in the big brooder. And adorable too.

Well, the temps were pretty cool today (just above 70°), but he wasn't outside 5 minutes. We came in when the cool breeze started blowing and the sun was covered. Also, my ducks would not harm him, but I didn't take any chances. In a couple days, I am selling all of my Rouens, leaving me strictly with mallards. He is in my garage, and as soon as I leave, he is screaming. I'd like to spend a lot more time with him than I do now, but I have 2 more weeks of school. After that, he'll go pretty much everywhere with me (if it's warm enough).

Back
Top Bottom