Goose leaves nest after the first egg hatches.

Wintersmom

Hatching
Jun 15, 2023
Hi, I need some advice. We have a goose that does a great job laying eggs and sitting on them, but as soon as the first egg hatches, she leaves the nest. This is the 3rd year for her to do this. Can I put them in an incubator to finish hatching or what can I do.?

Hi, I need some advice. We have a goose that does a great job laying eggs and sitting on them, but as soon as the first egg hatches, she leaves the nest. This is the 3rd year for her to do this. Can I put them in an incubator to finish hatching or what can I do.?
Welcome to BYC! Does she take the first gosling with her or does she leave all of them?
Yeah, I would take her eggs a few days before hatch and finish them in an incubator. Then raise them yourself.

Welcome to BYC! Does she take the first gosling with her or does she leave all of them?
Yeah, I would take her eggs a few days before hatch and finish them in an incubator. Then raise them yourself.
Yes she takes the first gosling

I know this thread is old, but perhaps you'd like to make a broody box you can set over her and her nest after she's been setting for about a week. something that you can latch the door on. That way, she couldn't just up and away .. though you would have to open and shut the door every day for her while she is setting.

Back
Top Bottom