Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I get that ducks sex drive is over the top. Ducks practice rape as part of their normal behavior, so it's not too far a stretch that they would got for a goose or other animal they thought was breed able. I think I was more surprised at my goose mounting my female duck. I don't know yet if Cream is goose or gander, so that makes it more confusing for me, lol.

My hope is that my ducks and geese stick to their own species when mature. I will have 1 drake, and 6 hens, and hopefully 2 ganders with 5/6 females. All depends on if Cream is goose or gander if I end up with trios, lol. Maybe, once the hormone surge calms down, they figure put who/what they should be breeding with. I don't want some weird mutant gucks or deese or whatever you would call them hatching.
Yep, most drakes are toads. I happen to have a great muscovy drake that is very well behaved with his ladies, and minds his own business when it comes to the geese. I used to have, for a very short time, a young muscovy that was a horror with the poor little geese, chase them around everywhere. Got rid of him, all returned to quiet. Most of my geese like to be in pairs, so I wouldn´t worry too much if you end up with more than 2 ganders. The bigger problem is how they are with you and your family.
And I´ve had geese (females) mount others, ducks too, no big deal.
Here are some pics i took of my lavender Tufted Toulouse. 15 taken and only 3 were good s/he wont stand still, hyper

Goodness, what a curiosity. It´s lovely. I´d be wanting to put a lilac bow on its wing! Looking forward to seeing pics when it´s fully feathered. Gorgeous. D´you think it´s a girl?

Yep, most drakes are toads.  I happen to have a great muscovy drake that is very well behaved with his ladies, and minds his own business when it comes to the geese.  I used to have, for a very short time, a young muscovy that was a horror with the poor little geese, chase them around everywhere.  Got rid of him, all returned to quiet.  Most of my geese like to be in pairs, so I wouldn´t worry too much if you end up with more than 2 ganders.  The bigger problem is how they are with you and your family.
And I´ve had geese (females) mount others, ducks too, no big deal.  

Our first drake, Howard, was rough on the girls. He forced Ebony down, forced her to mate, and she tore her hip because of it. She still limps and I don't think she will ever full heal from it. I am glad I sent him to my sister's, though I have been told he is chasing the geese around attempting to breed them now. (my sister thinks she has 2 female geese, not a pair like we thought.) If Howard was still here trying that, he would have been dinner long ago, of coarse Snow would probably have beat him up for trying anything with his girls. I really hope my Cayuga drake is a gentleman to his ladies and leaves the geese alone. With 6 ladies of his own I don't see why he should want a goose, but then Howard had 5 ladies and still wasn't happy.

The reason I only want 2 ganders is that I only have 2 coops that I can separate the ganders and their females into. So a 3rd gander fighting for a mate would have no safe place, and I don't want injuries among my boys.

Snow is fine with me, I can pick him up, scratch him, even hand feed him. He knows he can't bully me for more food and that I am top goose. He has never offered me any aggression at all. Not so with my family, he is an unholy demon with anyone else. He hasn't bitten anyone yet, but I thinks he just isn't brave enough to try. Once he fully matures I have a feeling he will bite anyone who isn't watching their backs. If I am with the people, Snow won't come near them, but if I'm not, watch out! Snow even started to attack my hubby the other day, my husband just turned around and asked Snow if he had a death wish. Snow backed off, which surprised me, guess he understood my hubby wasn't playing lol.

hey 8 :)
Im sorry to say that your lav . Is a male :( since you cant get grey or lav females from a white male and a brown female!
Males are always grey lav. Or white and females are brown or pied :/
Unless the parents are so mixed breed that babies can be any colour but with two pure breeds brown and white the males are always lav. Or white with a few brown gret feathers

hey 8 :)
Im sorry to say that your lav . Is a male :( since you cant get grey or lav females from a white male and a brown female!
Males are always grey lav. Or white and females are brown or pied :/
Unless the parents are so mixed breed that babies can be any colour but with two pure breeds brown and white the males are always lav. Or white with a few brown gret feathers

Its mother is white and its father is colored. Either gender its staying though. Its another accomplishment for me.

It acts like a girl. Im hoping i got lucky again.
It looks like a girl, has girlie eyes.
Our first drake, Howard, was rough on the girls. He forced Ebony down, forced her to mate, and she tore her hip because of it. She still limps and I don't think she will ever full heal from it. I am glad I sent him to my sister's, though I have been told he is chasing the geese around attempting to breed them now. (my sister thinks she has 2 female geese, not a pair like we thought.) If Howard was still here trying that, he would have been dinner long ago, of coarse Snow would probably have beat him up for trying anything with his girls. I really hope my Cayuga drake is a gentleman to his ladies and leaves the geese alone. With 6 ladies of his own I don't see why he should want a goose, but then Howard had 5 ladies and still wasn't happy.

The reason I only want 2 ganders is that I only have 2 coops that I can separate the ganders and their females into. So a 3rd gander fighting for a mate would have no safe place, and I don't want injuries among my boys.

Snow is fine with me, I can pick him up, scratch him, even hand feed him. He knows he can't bully me for more food and that I am top goose. He has never offered me any aggression at all. Not so with my family, he is an unholy demon with anyone else. He hasn't bitten anyone yet, but I thinks he just isn't brave enough to try. Once he fully matures I have a feeling he will bite anyone who isn't watching their backs. If I am with the people, Snow won't come near them, but if I'm not, watch out! Snow even started to attack my hubby the other day, my husband just turned around and asked Snow if he had a death wish. Snow backed off, which surprised me, guess he understood my hubby wasn't playing lol.
Snow´s a baby. You wait til he´s older!
ep.gif

Its eyes are brown as well, would a male crossbreed have blue eyes? I guess we will see if it lays an egg lol Stormy has the same color breeding, same mother as well and depending on the father, could be her full sibling. The more i see this one growing the more i think its father is Bill the brown chinese and not the toulouse. Its possible that Bill is its father, though i thought i got them seperated in time and waited long enough. Either way its coloring is so unique and i will have a mate for it.

Last edited:
Snow´s a baby. You wait til he´s older!  :eek:   

I know, I have to teach him to leave people alone in my yard. This weekend my kids are having a pool party/birthday thing with school friends before everyone takes off for summer vacation. All those kids means I have to stay outside to keep Snow under control. And Snow is teaching Noel this bad behavior as well, so soon I will have 2 ganders being punks here.

Back
Top Bottom