Got Griz? Electric Fence Incentive Program-Get Reimbursed-Rocky Mountain States I am talking to YOU!

mobius

Songster
Feb 29, 2016
Roosting. In A Tree. In Deepest NW Montana.
I am super excited to learn recently about an Electric Fencing Incentive Program. There are many bears in my neighborhood and they are waking up. New chicken owner here....

No food outside, no garbage, food taken in every night, coop like Fort Knox...hardware cloth? Doesn't matter. Perimeter fence, chain link? Doesn't matter.

Do I want to do this? No...but I have to. I live in the base of the Rockies, smack up against the west foothills, 60 miles from the Continental Divide. Is it gorgeous? Yes. Are there bears here? OMG.

So I researched the living you know what out of electric fencing. I was uber lucky to talk with the local head of Fish Wildlife and Parks a couple days ago at a friend's party. He said: Electric Fence. I said: Ick, really. Well, short story long, that discussion spurred me on to research the heck out of it ( and I am not fond of electricity). Yup. Gotta do it. He was right. Grrrrr....izzly....

OK. Then.

I run across an amazing incentive program: 50% of cost up to $500 will be reimbursed (meaning I believe you could spend 1K and get reimbursed $500). Doesn't matter if it is just around coop or around perimeter fencing, or a new fenced area. Talked to the gentleman today and with some paperwork, receipts, etc, I will get reimbursed. He will even help with a materials list and planning if I send him pics. This is for black bears , grizz, you name it.

The Incentive Program covers Montana, Idaho, Washington State, and Wyoming (specific counties). Colorado also has this program and I don't know where else, these are the ones I have found.

I know, I know, you all want a link:

www.defenders.org/got-grizzlies

http://bearsmartdurango.org/electric-fencing/ (for Colorado)

I am floored and quite happy: I can get expert advice, protect chickens (and bears), and get reimbursed!! Ya gotta LOVE it!
celebrate.gif

It is first come first serve. Don't wait til the money runs out. I got a next day pleasant, informative response to my voicemail inquiry. Neighbor coming over tomorrow to do a bid.

If you have a question, I will try to help...

Last edited:
I'm going to be checking into this as soon as I'm home this weekend. I have no problems with someone helping me with the cost of electric fencing.

Just talked to the head of FWP again (boy are THEY helpful) and one of his experts will come to my property and help with design and educate me properly. Further, FWP fellow told me that SIX of their radio-linked bears just woke up and poked their heads out of their dens TODAY...
gig.gif
th.gif
Nice to be in the loop...

In case you or I or anyone else is hesitant, FWP told me that coming out to the property was actually part of their job! And here I thought they just did bear and wildlife research and collected data!! Little known fact (at least to me)
roll.png
Plus the fellow that does the electrical fencing initiative used to work for FWP...it just all connects SO well...I like the personalized service provided by our tax dollars...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom