Got our goats yesterday!

mama24

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
GSO, NC
Very excited! My kids and I are in love. My dh is already complaining what a pain in the tuckus they're going to be (we had to put up some temporary fencing a very small spot and they immediately tore it down. rofl) I think their curiosity and mischievousness is adorable!

408655_2956508191363_1221217193_3341016_1476645419_n.jpg

399192_2951447384846_1221217193_3339225_366153549_n.jpg

374859_2951367222842_1221217193_3339199_904103642_n.jpg

They are terrified of us, btw. They were raised in a rather large herd with their mothers and some livestock guardian dogs. They haven't even ever had their hooves trimmed. I can't catch them at all now that they're home. Yesterday, I think they were too scared to try and run, and they let us pet and feed them, but today, we can't get anywhere near them! The bigger one was in with the bucks for a few month, so she's hopefully pregnant (we want milk) and she is quite a bit motivated by food and will come and eat some feed as long as we don't try to touch her (hopefully that's a sign she is pregnant??) Any thoughts on taming them, or should I just keep going with offering sweet feed every time I go in to try to get them to like me? I need to step it up before kidding time if we're going to be successful at milking, though! The little one was not in with the boys as she is obviously too young and small. Works for us, as we want milkers, and alternating breeding years on 2 girls is probably the best way to go. I can't wait to see what she looks like when she grows up! Her mom was gorgeous and she looks very similar, though a LOT lighter, that's why I picked her out of over a dozen. She is already darker than when we picked her out a few months ago, so I think she may end up looking just like her mom. Sort of a nice reddish/orangeish brown, not sure how to describe, a more subtle pretty color than what you usually see on animals, with both lighter and darker spots.
smile.png
I picked the other b/c she was as big as the moms and i figured she was definitely big enough to breed, plus she looked full Saanen, though she is half Boer. The little one's mom was Nubian/Boer cross and her dad was full blooded Kiko. I have read Kikos are actually good milkers, so I think they'll both do fine.
smile.png
We wanted dual purpose goats anyway, gotta do something with the boys!

PS, don't mind the junk in the background of the first pic. The old barn was full of junk. We threw out all of the smaller more dangerous stuff. I might try to rig some climbing toys for our new girls with these bigger pieces and some miscellaneous wood we have lying around.
smile.png

Last edited:
Cute Kids
big_smile.png
This ranch is so completely over-run with animals but a goat might make a good companion for the old stallion when he's all alone. Happy Christmas
celebrate.gif

Tell your husband that yes they are going to be a pain in the tuckus, however the joy that you get is going to so much greater.

I have a huge buck that was born here and he is the most loving of my 4, especially around breeding time. I get so that durning that time I call him sticky, because I can smell him for many feet away, but he always needs to give me a kiss on the nose and wants a scratch or 2, (i'm called stinky by my companion durning that time also, but a bath takes care of that). His dad was mean, he wouldnt ram me but would push me to the ground and not let me up, he tried to take my companion a couple of times, so we kept one of the twins and sold the other twin that was starting to show the same temperment to a guy that goes to the sale barns.

Watching the newborn kids in the spring makes you laugh so hard that you forget all your problems for a short time.

Just take your time with your new goats dont rush them and try treats like carrots, so that they will let you get closer. and ones with horns do have a habit of catching you with them even if they dont mean to.

Just take your time. and enjoy

They took down the 5ft of temporary fence between them and the chickens 3 times today! Thank goodness stores are open tomorrow so I can get more 5ft fencing! My friend was not exaggerating when he said the 4 ft wouldn't even last a day! We ran out and I thought the 4 ft fence would work for little while at least till I got more! And the big goat must have eaten at least 10lb of chicken feed, so I'm almost out of that too! Hope it doesn't make her sick! Stinker!

Quote:
lau.gif
I have heard that before. Dose anyone know if electric is suitable and if so how much/how many strands and how spaced? I'm thinking about goats for myself in the Spring so this peaked my interest.

Back
Top Bottom