got turkeys??

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
Ok, I am supposed to go pick up a few turkeys...they are 11 weeks I think. Is there a chance I will be able to tell the Toms from the Hens? Royal Palms? I need help before Sunday! Anyone!??

Hang on, let me do some checking. I'll be back soon!

Well, Hopefully someone else will be able to help you more.
I'm just guessing here but at 11 weeks, I would think you could see a size difference between the boys and the girls. I don't know if there will be much development around the head on the wattles and such. They might be gobbling a little but probably not when you are there!
hmm.png

Royal Palms sound like neat birds! Good luck!

Last edited:
I've got 3 bronze that are about 8 weeks old, the snoods on 2 of them are more than twice as long as on the third. the third also seems to be a little smaller with a slightly different coloration near the tail feathers. So I'm thinking we have 2 jakes and 1 hen or since its said that hens look at the size of a snood to help choose a mate maybe I have 2 well endowed jakes and 1 not so lucky.

Sorry I dont know mutch about historical head wear
big_smile.png

but heres a definition from another site.

Snood - the flap of skin that hangs over the turkey's beak. Turns bright red when the turkey is upset or during courtship

Dont know if it helps them keep there heads warm or not but it does help them to look like baby dinosaurs.

The poults I hatched 4 weeks ago... I can just about tell who's jake and who's hen. The males are more robust in body, their snoods are a "bigger bump", theur color's "richer", their legs are thicker around - and they just look more masculine! I have one who's actually Danced already - even though he's little bigger than a tennis ball!

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like I wont be able to get them for another week. There was a personal tradgedy in this persons family. Another week might help ID them better tho.

Back
Top Bottom