Royal Palm Turkey

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Check out the color calculator, varieties page, genetics information, and all kind of good fun at the following (possibly a hatchery, but still useful) link..

https://porterturkeys.com/

To me, if I were a possible buyer (and I'm not actually so just for conversation or consideration).. there's no reasonable price until you've incubated some for yourself to check both fertility rate and also viability/hatch rate under your own conditions for verification purposes. In the US.. fertile hatching eggs are defined to be at least 85% fertile (according to one law somewhere). Obviously hatch rate can not be guaranteed.. but knowing for yourself rules out all the what if's a buyer may pose if they're not successful themselves. First eggs.. are also not acceptable as IDEAL for incubation. Now obviously, I'm also a stick in the mud with attention to detail disorder.. but still having fun best I can!

Fertility may be verified.. at least for general purposes.. by the appearance of a balstodisk verses blastoderm on the yolk when cracked open for eating, etc.. bullseye is fertile while a solid spot is not. Pics are all over the web.

Congrats on your new eggs and happy adventures! :wee

ETA: actual value varies by market.
Thanks for all the great info and insight!!!

My wife actually borrowed an incubator this afternoon from her grandpa so we can see their potential! (And ours at hatching them, ha) . I've been trying to attend as many sales as I can to figure out the going rates for my area but surprisingly turkey aren't super common at the sales! Last week there was only one grown turkey, and no eggs up for grabs.

I'm with you on attention to detail, I've already started a spreadsheet tracking how they're laying, what they're being fed at the time, etc! lol

I’m not sure where you are located, but my turkey hens just laid their very first egg of the season yesterday.
I live in the PacificNorthWet, at about 1500’. So we are always behind the “curve”
But.
I know we aren’t the only ones who have “unusual” conditions 😉
Perhaps the market is going to have some poults soon 🤞

I’m not sure where you are located, but my turkey hens just laid their very first egg of the season yesterday.
I live in the PacificNorthWet, at about 1500’. So we are always behind the “curve”
But.
I know we aren’t the only ones who have “unusual” conditions 😉
Perhaps the market is going to have some poults soon 🤞
I’m down in LA, Lower-ish Alabama ha. Only two turkey at the sale I attended tonight! They sold for $95 a head.

I’m down in LA, Lower-ish Alabama ha. Only two turkey at the sale I attended tonight! They sold for $95 a head.
Young adult but at processing weight
(+/- 5-6 months old) heritage variety hens sell for about 75$ here, and Toms for about 100$, “on the hoof”

I offer in house processing for a fee, but tbh only to people I know....
I don’t want someone to improperly thaw a bird - get sick - and cause headaches...

Back
Top Bottom