GQF Quail pens and brooder info!

Sniper, this review is great. About 3 weeks ago, you had a post that asked if anyone had experience with this battery brooder, and I was waiting patiently to see if anyone would reply with any type of feed back. Like many others, I would like to keep my quail in a central location, and not have my cages taking up a lot of room in the yard. I have seen this type of battery brooder at my local feed and seed, where they sell chicks, ducklings and turkey poults from spring to early summer. I'm the type of person who would rather "do it myself" than pay somebody a ton of money. So, last summer, I made three 24 x 36 x 10 cages using 1/2" hardware cloth, and learned the hard way that the hardware cloth was very flimsy; I ended up putting metal rods on the bottom for extra support. I decided to put a wire divider down the center of one of the cages so I separate some of the hens that don't get along. I suspended these cages under a 5 tier shelf with some cup hooks and zinc chain. I put some galvanized sheets under it lined with newspaper. The reinforced hardware cloth has worked, but I later read a post from a member who used 16 gauge 1/2 x 1" pet cage wire that can be purchased at Tractor Supply Company.
I was lost in Tractor Supply when I spotted this rabbit cage kit that is stackable with drop pans, and figured that I could make the same thing. So just before Thanksgiving, this one hair started to grow on my head (most people get that one that wild hair up their ***, so maybe it was the same principle), and I went out and started pricing assorted hardware that I would need to build one of my own battery cages (wire, structural support, along with nuts and bolts). The first cage that I built worked like a charm. So then I quickly built another. As I pondered about my creation like Dr. Frankenstein, I decided that my last one would have an angled floor so the eggs would roll to the front. I wish I would have thought about that when I was in the R&D phase. Each one was built directly into the structure, so there was no chance of removal for cleaning... another oops moment. The one thing that you had pointed out was that each of the cages were removable, so it made it easier to clean. So in the very near future, I will be re-building my monstrosity so that the cages could be removable, and modifying the flooring so each cage is angled. Then I will consider building another structure to handle the 3 that I have suspended under that shelving unit. If have considered getting this metal bending tool; I could really have some fun making cages.
And I swear when I fist talked with my wife about raising quail (for their eggs), we both agreed that I would have no more than 3 cages and no more than 12 quail... that was 7 cages and 60+ quail ago... I have lost track of how many roos I've baked or grilled. Our budget per month for feed was $15, which has doubled in the last 9 months, but I really do like having eggs out the wazoo. Man, this is addictive.
OH, back to the reason I wanted to reply to your post was to recommend that you go onto the manufacturers website and do an official review. It really is the best way that the manufacturers to get feedback on their product.
James

Last edited:
Though they look nice,but they are pricey.Why don't you build your own and you can build it to your needs?

Here is one of mine I built.Each compartment is 2' widex3'deepx 18"tall.I have 12 of this size and 4 that are 4'widex3'deepx18"hi for the older birds or bigger groups.I paint all my bulbs red just in case a bird starts to bleed it makes it a little more difficult for others to see the blood.Pens are cleaned and sprayed with tek trol weekly.
In N.H.,Tony.

Im not completely done with my reveiw on here. I want to let everyone know since I took the plunge. I would have built my own but I dont have enough space to do so right now. So thays why I went with this. I got most everything set up today so im gonna see how it works out the next few days. So far so good. By birds seem to be doing better and less stressed now that they can not all see each other. I had cloth wire sides on my old throw together pens.... with these GQF pens it has the aluminum divider... they dont go near as crazy... I put a full spectum plant grow light in the shed today so we will see if that lighting helps out more than the regular white light. It gives off a different glow for sure...

Greetings ,Being inspired by GQF but they are extremely expensive here I made my own , emphasis on maintenance and cleaning. 2 foot deep by 3 foot wide, center divider removable, water and food above floor , water via nipples at back , I found this the cleanest for the quail , got the nipples on eBay for .60 cents each, eggs roll out front, floor is tsc polymer heavy duty 1/2 mesh , I find its easier on the birds feet , cleans easier , doesn't rust , con is needs support, front access above feeder folds down , feeder above floor access from outside front easy to clean and fill, made of eaves trough down spout cut in half. Highly recommend floor , sides top are 1/2 hardware cloth galvanized mesh from tractor supply , frame 3/4 inch square spruce painted,I have a vertical stack of five cages trays underneath for droppings, Started in late October with a breeding trio and currently are now at twenty eight birds , steep learning curve , now getting 70 to 80 percent hatches and am about to fill the cage breeder tower. three to four birds per each half cage. Much appreciation for those who have gone before and passed on the wisdom via BYC forum thanks

That looks good too. Im not that inclined to build them myself. I dont know if I could make cages and have them turn out really nice like I picture it in my head...

Ive had my birds in my GQF cages for two days now... they seem to be doing well. No problems and has been so much cleaner.... no problems so far. The 15 section breeder pens have been working well for me so far. I have three two week old birds in the brooder and they seem to be doing fine too..

Hey - I too took the plunge and bought a GQF battery brooder with the two grow off pens under it. it should be arriving today actually. I did have a question though- can i run this out in my garage? I am in NH so we get below 0 weather. it happens to be 40 degrees today but tomorrow could be negative numbers again. I just didn't know if I should expect it to compete with that much cold, or if I should be setting it up in my basement instead. thanks

the website says each section is 10" x 24" and i believe the deviders can be removed. It doesn't specifically mention height... but I would assume by looking at the picture that it is also 10''

Back
Top Bottom