** GRAZING FRAME/BOX! Salad bar for chickens! (DIY video!) **

So far it is doing great. We'll see how it goes but so far no issues at all. The hardest part will be surviving the sun and the freezes we can get in winter time.

So much is sprouting! It's juuuuust getting tall enough to start poking through the mesh, so I'm excited! They have it figured out and can see the greens but can't reach them yet. They all pile on and peer down in there trying to figure it out. :p
LOL! got a pic? Is the plastic holding up to their weight ok?

So far it is doing great. We'll see how it goes but so far no issues at all. The hardest part will be surviving the sun and the freezes we can get in winter time.

So much is sprouting! It's juuuuust getting tall enough to start poking through the mesh, so I'm excited! They have it figured out and can see the greens but can't reach them yet. They all pile on and peer down in there trying to figure it out. :p

Yes, they start to try and get in there to eat that fresh green:) It's like planting a chicken veggie garden!

mat2dong:

I have done something with a similar outcome - but it's not as good as yours! I just planted my chickens' favourite grass (here we call it shadegrass) in a pot and put wire on top. However the grass grows quite slowly. If I don't have the seeds you are using, what else could I use? Something cheap, fast-growing and okay for chooks?

mat2dong:

I have done something with a similar outcome - but it's not as good as yours! I just planted my chickens' favourite grass (here we call it shadegrass) in a pot and put wire on top. However the grass grows quite slowly. If I don't have the seeds you are using, what else could I use? Something cheap, fast-growing and okay for chooks?

I would use wheat:)

Is poultry wire ok to use for the wire? That's what I bought to use for them. Mine will only be 8' long 24" wide and I will have a board at 4' to (in the middle). Going to do them with 2x4's. Now what can I plant now in them for South Ms. zone 8? Going to build about 4 of the grazing frames for my run. I am recycling the banisters we took off our front porch before we closed it in for my sewing room. Got them all torn apart and nails pulled out of them all. Now to put them together and plant them but I have no idea what I can plant in them.

Is poultry wire ok to use for the wire? That's what I bought to use for them. Mine will only be 8' long 24" wide and I will have a board at 4' to (in the middle). Going to do them with 2x4's. Now what can I plant now in them for South Ms. zone 8? Going to build about 4 of the grazing frames for my run. I am recycling the banisters we took off our front porch before we closed it in for my sewing room. Got them all torn apart and nails pulled out of them all. Now to put them together and plant them but I have no idea what I can plant in them.
They might be able to walk on the 1" chicken wire, not sure about the larger stuff...I'd be concerned about their feet/toes going thru the mesh.

I think it would be a bad idea to use the poultry wire. Their legs can get caught in it while you're gone:( If you notice my videos I use hardware cloth. It's a lot stronger and the chickens can walk on it without getting caught In the wire.

Now as for planting in the area you live in, I don't know what you can plan there. The things you want to plan our things that will grow up through the wires and are edible like grasses. Sprouted wheat berry is good:)

Hope that helps!

I think it would be a bad idea to use the poultry wire. Their legs can get caught in it while you're gone:( If you notice my videos I use hardware cloth. It's a lot stronger and the chickens can walk on it without getting caught In the wire.

Now as for planting in the area you live in, I don't know what you can plan there. The things you want to plan our things that will grow up through the wires and are edible like grasses. Sprouted wheat berry is good:)

Hope that helps!
their feet and legs are the size of grown chickens now so do you think they could still get hung in it? :) Is sprouted wheat berry some sort of wheat?

Back
Top Bottom