Green duck eggs.

just wondering do you happen to have any Musovies would you because i have 3 Muscovy ducklings and it looks just like mine.

I know someone who found and incubated a wild Wood Duck egg in WI. It had fallen from a tree-hole nest onto the ground, so of course they picked it up and thew it in the incubator, just to see if it would miraculously survive. When it did hatch, they called the DNR to ask what they should do with it, and the DNR told them to take it outside and leave it to die.

Obviously, the person kept the bird and it is happy and healthy today, living alongside her domesticated ducks. Did she break the law? Yes. Did she make the right decision? Absolutely.

So, that's my two cents.
wink.png
Good luck with your baby, cheyfrie26, and I hope that you raise it up into a happy, healthy bird - no matter WHAT it is!
smile.png

It's a Mallard. Wild Mallards ARE smaller than the strain produced for domesticated flocks. Mallard duckling bills are dark and then lighten up if it is a drake. If you look closely, you can see the subtle difference in the appearance and shape of a wild mallard vs. a domesticated mallard (and I'm not talking about Rouens).

I'm one of those people who usually tells people to leave abandoned eggs alone, especially with certain birds like killdeer because killdeer almost always die unless they're hatched by someone with experience handling them. I know I've passed a few abandoned duck eggs myself.

But, in this case, I didn't mind because the OP obviously has the means to incubate and take care of a young bird long enough to decide if he/she needs to hand it over to DNR or his/her wildlife rescue agency. I don't recommend people do this, but it looks like it's going to turn out OK.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't see this whole page. Yes I have Muscovys but the egg was way to small for a muscovy. I will care for it no matter what breed. I will add pictures about every week. Make new threads if I have to.

It's a Wild Mallard duckling! You DO NOT need a permit for them unless you are planning on selling the eggs, ducklings, and adults from them.

If it was a Wood duck egg that would be a different story. And the only reason I know it's a Mallard is because wood ducks only lay where they feel safe which is in a tight hideaway from where they wont be bothered. Domestic Ducks (Mallards included) lay the eggs where ever they want to.

Good Luck and Have fun with your duckling!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom