Green water in waterer!

Nyhillbillies

Songster
Mar 26, 2022
Upstate NY
Hi all! Using tested well water (no e coli, no choliform) in 3 gallon chicken waterer. Sitting in the sun, the water turns a little green and the sides of the base turn slimy over the course of a few days. I am cleaning it constantly. Our well water is hard, naturally. Is the water no good? Or will the sun do this to all water?

Hi all! Using tested well water (no e coli, no choliform) in 3 gallon chicken waterer. Sitting in the sun, the water turns a little green and the sides of the base turn slimy over the course of a few days. I am cleaning it constantly. Our well water is hard, naturally. Is the water no good? Or will the sun do this to all water?
I have the same water and a 5 gallon waterer. Mine is in the shade, it's better but still gets slimy after 4 or so days. Try it in the shade and clean it with bleach once in awhile to disinfect, rinse very well obviously. I may switch to 2 3 gallon waters because it's hard to clean mine, the lid is narrow.

I have the same water and a 5 gallon waterer. Mine is in the shade, it's better but still gets slimy after 4 or so days. Try it in the shade and clean it with bleach once in awhile to disinfect, rinse very well obviously. I may switch to 2 3 gallon waters because it's hard to clean mine, the lid is narrow.

Attachments

• DB7E3BE4-78F9-41A0-AE0E-9724C456140E.jpeg
    DB7E3BE4-78F9-41A0-AE0E-9724C456140E.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 5
I had that same type of waterer's before and you are right. They get green inside from the heat and sun, and they are also hard to clean. Now I use a baby goat feeder/trough sitting up on a cement block and attached to the side of my run for the drinking water for them. It's much easier to take it off and clean it out.

Wow I thought I was the only one who had a problem with this, it feels like I'm always cleaning the 5 gallon waterer to remove the algae and slime that forms Oh and the girls pooping in it certainly doesn't help.......I clean in abut every 4 days.
I'm always looking for an alternative .
I'm going to look into the baby goat waterer.....
Thanks

Wow I thought I was the only one who had a problem with this, it feels like I'm always cleaning the 5 gallon waterer to remove the algae and slime that forms Oh and the girls pooping in it certainly doesn't help.......I clean in abut every 4 days.
I'm always looking for an alternative .
I'm going to look into the baby goat waterer.....
Thanks
Your welcome! I bought 2 of them, because I normally do buy thing's in pair's. This way if I'm sort of too busy to soak and clean one out thoroughly at the time, I just put the clean one up, and fill it with the hose and they are good to go again. I bought mine from TSC.

Back
Top Bottom