Green water in waterer!

Many people are forced to drink and give their chickens chlorinated water. But, the chlorine residual at the faucet is usually 2 to 4 ppm at most. Commercial poultry houses shoot for 3 to 5 ppm chlorine residual in drinking water to eliminate potential pathogens.. That's only about five drops of bleach per gallon. This concentration will kill or prevent many, but not all types iof algae. But, if you are confident that the water has enough chlorine to prevent pathogens, do you really care if it has algae?

I use this in my water, makes 33 gallons I believe...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904-092121_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-092121_Chrome.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 3
Many people are forced to drink and give their chickens chlorinated water. But, the chlorine residual at the faucet is usually 2 to 4 ppm at most. Commercial poultry houses shoot for 3 to 5 ppm chlorine residual in drinking water to eliminate potential pathogens.. That's only about five drops of bleach per gallon. This concentration will kill or prevent many, but not all types iof algae. But, if you are confident that the water has enough chlorine to prevent pathogens, do you really care if it has algae?

My animals drink well water. And they generally make a mess of it quickly, potentially adding anything from hay, to straw, to drool, to chicken poop to it.

We try to keep the water shaded for part of the day, but we definitely need to find some safe additive to add.

That's actually why I know bleach is so often recommended... I've seen it referenced time and time again. The only reason I haven't done it yet it the same reason some here seem to object - it doesn't 'sound' like a good idea. But I do need to figure out some solution. I will look into the product just above me.

I use this in my water, makes 33 gallons I believe...

Welp, looked into it. If the reviews are to be believed, the 16oz package makes 16 gallons and costs 23.50

At any given time I have at least 2 five gallon poultry waterers, plus a couple big black livestock waters (not full).

So, unfortunately, that means this stuff would last me, at best, a single water refill. There's no way I can justify $23.50 per water when it's free now.

I'm starting to guess that's why livestock owners go with a tiny bit of bleach, it may be the only economical solution.

Back
Top Bottom