Grow-out pen size/dimensions

iheartrunners

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2016
Eastern Ontario (Canada)
What would you say is a reasonable size (dimensions) for around 70 chicks from age 0 until they are about 5 months old given they will have 10 to 15 sqft of outdoor run space each?

Also if anyone has pics I'd love to see yours!

Thanks!

Are you raising large fowl or bantam breeds? What is your general location/climate and is there a particular time of year you plan to use this pen or will it be used year-round with cycling groups of birds?

Right... should have mentioned that! :)

It will be for dual-purpose Large Fowl. I'm in eastern Ontario (Canada) north of New York, so we have "true" winters here - But I will likely only use the pen from April until August - so spring and summer.

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Those ages, that season, enough outdoor space, you could probably get by with around 2-3 feet each in a coop. Your challenge is going to be enough roost space once they start roosting. And managing poop....that's a lot of birds. Poop boards will be your friend, I'm thinking.

Since you're maxing out at 5 months, I'm guessing you're butchering? So, you can manage any issues by removing a problem bird earlier? That is a good option to keep. Sometimes it's not about space, it's a specific bird who just won't get along with everyone else.

But, more space is always better. No one ever wishes they'd made the coop smaller.

welcome-byc.gif

Those ages, that season, enough outdoor space, you could probably get by with around 2-3 feet each in a coop. Your challenge is going to be enough roost space once they start roosting. And managing poop....that's a lot of birds. Poop boards will be your friend, I'm thinking.

Since you're maxing out at 5 months, I'm guessing you're butchering? So, you can manage any issues by removing a problem bird earlier? That is a good option to keep. Sometimes it's not about space, it's a specific bird who just won't get along with everyone else.

But, more space is always better. No one ever wishes they'd made the coop smaller.
Ditto Dat^^^

@donrae you often save me so much typing!

welcome-byc.gif

That's what I figured (size-wise). And you're right, after doing a lot of figuring I got on to the roost space - I always forget how much space it takes! haha. I currently use poop boards with a lip filled with sand and stall-dry. Works really well - I'll just have to scale up (a lot!) for that amount of birds.

Yes, cockerels will be processed, but pullets will move to layer coop.

Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom