Growing fodder for chickens

11.9.15 Here's a video related to chickens and the oats they're eating... Kay in NC
0.jpg

11.9.15 Here's a video related to chickens and the oats they're eating... Kay in NC
0.jpg
I have grazing frames too. My chickens love them, they spend a lot of time on them with 'tails up'!
I just am not sure that seeds will germinate now that it is getting colder. Have you had luck with oats sprouting outside as the weather turns to winter?

I have grazing frames too. My chickens love them, they spend a lot of time on them with 'tails up'!
I just am not sure that seeds will germinate now that it is getting colder. Have you had luck with oats sprouting outside as the weather turns to winter?
lynnehd...This is my first time planting oat seeds. They certainly sprouted good in November here in North Caroina but it has not been freezing temps except for two times. Maybe you could just try a small area and see what happens.... Kay in NC

I've not had any mold in mine. My baskets have holes all over the place in them, the sides, the bottom, and every where. No mold at all. Plus I rinse every day like clock work. GOT to get them some more started tomorrow.
@Mahlzeit
I can confirm that a lot of holes helps. I'm using the plastic Sterilite shoe boxes (someone else mentioned these), you have to drill holes in the little 'valleys' along the edges. I used the 3/32 drill bit.
(Some put a tsp of bleach, or hydrogen peroxide, or ACV in the soak water, then rinse. This might not be necessary with good drainage. Might depend on room temp, humidity level, etc.).
You just don't want ANY standing water. Combined with daily rinses as mentioned.

No mold problems here.
I think that is because:
 - Air inside the house during the time of year I grow fodder is dry. The dry air is why I use the damp paper towel the first couple of days. Once I see the root break-out, I know they don't need the extra moisture (usually about 48 hrs after soak-the "third day").
 - I do a very good winnow and rinse on "dirty" seeds. 
 - I don't put too many seeds in the box, a thin layer, a few seeds thick is all I do.
 - I drilled lots of holes in my boxes. Being aware to put the holes in the lowest parts of them to allow the water to drain off. NO SEEDS SITTING IN WATER.
 - I don't reuse water. Fresh clean water for the soak and each rinse. We have a well with a water softener so no high water bills if I use lots of water. I know the availability/cost of water can be a problem for others.
 - I don't close up the "greenhouse". It is open and gets good air circulation.
 - I don't stack the boxes on top of each other so good air circulation.
 - I don't grow them for very long, mine are fed when the green leaf/blade is just starting.
 - I scrub the container thoroughly and spray with diluted oxine or vinegar water after I feed from it and let it dry until the next morning before reusing it.

This may be time consuming but I am an empty-nester working part-time and have the time. I spend extra time during the nicer parts of the year out in the yard doing all kinds of things. I look at the extra time spent on fodder well worth it during the not-so-nice part of the year. I know the flock is getting something good for them and it keeps them healthy and ready for the breeding season.
Just want to say that I don't heat the coop or use artificial lighting for egg production during the winter. I have Icelandic chickens that want to brood their own chicks in the spring and the pullets born in April and early May will start laying October and lay through winter.....unless they try to go broody in February.:rolleyes:   Pullets hatched after May will not usually start laying until January when the days start lengthening. It is important to me to keep some "live" food available to them during winter and fodder is not that much work once you have a system down. Depending on where you live, getting the seed will be the hardest part.

Today I have heard a lot about Icelandic chickens. Do you keep them free ranged or part free ranged?

Hi all! First time posting although I have read lots of great stuff for awhile now on these forums. I have been raising fodder for our chickens. I just recently got a new bushel of organic barley seed and I have been unable to get it to sprout. Anyone have any ideas that may help or know any reason why a seed would not sprout? Thankfully my girls still eat it as soaked seed, but I have 48 lbs of this seed and would like to grow fodder. I never had any trouble with the previous barley seed sprouting and have not changed anything I do other than the seed.

right now I have some oats that will not sprout and in the house I have also chickpeas that will not sprout. There is some bad seed out there in stores.

Quote: My flock is free ranged. Out after sun-up and they put themselves to roost before sunset. They eat very little feed in the summer when they are able to forage. I provide free choice feed and sprouted grains each morning in the winter when there is little available here. I have had a flock of Icelandics for five and a half years and can't say enough good things about them.

Back
Top Bottom