Growing fodder for chickens

I am reading old posts on growing fodder. This this work well for you?
Yes. It's a great source of healthy greens during the winter (or year round, if needed).

Tips:
*you can use wheat or oat, or a mix of greens including BOSS
*make sure any containers you use drain thoroughly. Standing water will lead to odor. They need to flush well. So if there are little valleys in the container, drill drainage holes there.

A super easy way to manage a sprout program for a smaller flock: (less than 8 birds) is to start your sprouts in quart mason jars. You can use a canning ring, and a piece of plastic needle point canvas cut to fit the ring. Or you can simply use a piece of cheese cloth or old nylon stocking, or tulle.
Keep the jar beside the kitchen sink, so it's easy to grab and give a quick rinse when ever you're working in the kitchen. Then you simply soak your seeds for a few hours, give them a quick rinse, and place upside down at an angle in a bowl to start the growth process. Rinse and repeat. When they are almost at the size you want to feed them out, put in a sunny window for a day to green up.

@KlopKlop I did my trialrun of the fodder and I'm on day 5 today.
Day 1(24hrs soak) I didnt take pictures

Day 2 roots already coming out

Day 3

Day 4 shows lots of roots and the shoots are becoming green

I'm yet to take Day 5 pictures. I bought the plastic shoe box and will be drilling holes and using that for more.

I can't find anyone around that sells seeds and my girls are desperate for some green. Every time I go to feed they want to come out to eat the grass. I can't free range so that's out of the question. What can I use that is easy to get

I can't find anyone around that sells seeds and my girls are desperate for some green. Every time I go to feed they want to come out to eat the grass. I can't free range so that's out of the question. What can I use that is easy to get

I have had good luck sprouting organic barley I bought from the store. You might need to try different sources. My pullets also love green lentils sprouted. I only let them grow for 3-4 days so not technically fodder. But when I bought lentils at another store they never sprouted.

If you have a lot of chickens you might be able to find or order grains in bulk. Azure has an online store.

Check amazon, and feed stores. I can get sproutable wheat seeds at my feed store.

Quote:
X2.

Which is what I need.
IMO, you're better off buying seeds from a health food store. The local HF store sells sprouting seeds which are 3 - 4 times more expensive than the same type of organic seeds sold for cooking. Both sprout equally well. I pay $26/50# of wheat or barley which is intended for animal feed. Still have some left from last year to sprout. HF store sells grains for approx $1/# as I recall.

IMO, you're better off buying seeds from a health food store.  The local HF store sells sprouting seeds which are 3 - 4 times more expensive than the same type of organic seeds sold for cooking.  Both sprout equally well.  I pay $26/50# of wheat or barley which is intended for animal feed.  Still have some left from last year to sprout.  HF store sells grains for approx $1/# as I recall.

Thank you in needed some direction on this. I'll definitely will go tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom