Growing fodder for chickens

I dump the water on the raised garden beds. I figured some of the good stuff stays in the soil.

the water from germination will typically contain enzyme inhibitors, which are proteins and good N fertilizers.I use it on my houseplants with excellent results.

I have to say the idea of making fodder for my chickens was great. However it has honestly been the most frustrating and unrewarding thing I have ever done regarding my chickens. No matter what I have tried I cannot get my fodder to sprout without mold forming. I have tried different trays and containers, different soaking times, soaking with and without bleach, different amounts of watering while it is in the trays, tried growing it in different places in my house. It all doesn't matter mold form regardless. Once I am done with this bag I think I am throwing in the towel.

I have to say the idea of making fodder for my chickens was great. However it has honestly been the most frustrating and unrewarding thing I have ever done regarding my chickens. No matter what I have tried I cannot get my fodder to sprout without mold forming. I have tried different trays and containers, different soaking times, soaking with and without bleach, different amounts of watering while it is in the trays, tried growing it in different places in my house. It all doesn't matter mold form regardless. Once I am done with this bag I think I am throwing in the towel.
I had the same issues. Not everyone does, but it is so frustrating! Here is what finally worked (you've tried some, but do them all): 1. Soak the seeds in water/bleach. 10:1. Overnight. Rinse well 2. Make sure your tray drains REALLY WELL. No standing water. Add holes if needed 3.Flush 2-3x per day. 4. Only use a very thin layer of seeds. Really thin- maybe 1-2 seeds deep. Maybe 1 seed deep, if needed. 5. Set up a small clip on on fan to gently blow on your trays and improve air circulation. Maybe these steps will work for you.

Does the bleach hurt the chickens? Haven't read the whole thread but seen bleach mentioned some and find it weird for food. Does it come out eventually I'm assuming?

Does the bleach hurt the chickens? Haven't read the whole thread but seen bleach mentioned some and find it weird for food. Does it come out eventually I'm assuming?

I don't know that I would really be a fan of using it in food, but that's just because it SOUNDS bad... in reality, bleach breaks down in sunlight and will go away in a day or 2 on it's own.

Put The seeds into a strainer after the soak and rinse copiously. I do that, and am not worried.
I tried hydrogen peroxide, ACV... Didn't work.

I don't know that I would really be a fan of using it in food, but that's just because it SOUNDS bad... in reality, bleach breaks down in sunlight and will go away in a day or 2 on it's own.

Ahhh okay that makes sense thank you both

Back
Top Bottom