Growing fodder for chickens

I've been doing some sprouting for the horses, right now I don't have the space to do fodder, but, what I have been doing is soaking the seeds the night before, then in the morning, I drain those and put the daily feedings amount in the container I was using to soak ( to take to the barn), then all sprouts are in one container, I just fill up the entire bucket with water, stir it around with my hand, then dump it all in a colander (one of the ones that's all wire mesh), once it's mostly dripped out, I dump it back in the bucket where it sits until next morning when it gets rinsed and drained again. No mold, all different stages of growth in one bucket, which isn't an issue for me, I just want them sprouted enough that they break the seed hull, any more than that right now is a bonus.

I've been sprouting a 5 grain scratch grain (which has cracked corn in it, not a fan, but oh well), and sunflower seeds just to give the horses a little something extra on top of their grain.

I had the same issues. Not everyone does, but it is so frustrating!
Here is what finally worked (you've tried some, but do them all):
1. Soak the seeds in water/bleach. 10:1. Overnight. Rinse well
2. Make sure your tray drains REALLY WELL. No standing water. Add holes if needed
3.Flush 2-3x per day.
4. Only use a very thin layer of seeds. Really thin- maybe 1-2 seeds deep. Maybe 1 seed deep, if needed.
5. Set up a small clip on on fan to gently blow on your trays and improve air circulation.

Maybe these steps will work for you.
I have tried a thin layer of seeds, not as thing as 1 or 2 seeds deep but the problem with that is it wouldn't be worth it for me to spend the time and effort for that small amount of sprouting. I have 50 chickens a tray 1 seed thick wouldn't help much with keeping feed cost down.

I did this a few weeks ago using racing horse oats. Just put them in a colander in my double sink, gave them a good rinse twice daily, and then when they grew enough greenery I trimmed it down and gave it to my chicks in the brooder for some entertainment. At first they were just having fun picking it apart, strand by strand, but eventually they got around to eating it.

Have picked up a lot of good tips from this thread! Made it almost 300 pages before the questions from newbies were getting too repetitive and little new info was being generated. Still, I took a lot of notes and saved a lot of pictures so if I want to design a bigger system in the future, I will have the info I need for it.

I have a question for y'all. Is fodder complete enough in protein, nutrition, etc, to create a well balanced diet for poultry? What vitamins, minerals, etc are missing? Would it be possible to feed just fodder and than supplement with whatever vit/minerals they need, that the fodder is lacking?

Currently my birds are on fermented feed and fodder, but fodder is much more cost efficient and healthy.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on the subject! :)

Blessings -

~ Aspen

Last edited:
I have a question for y'all. Is fodder complete enough in protein, nutrition, etc, to create a well balanced diet for poultry? What vitamins, minerals, etc are missing? Would it be possible to feed just fodder and than supplement with whatever vit/minerals they need, that the fodder is lacking?

Currently my birds are on fermented feed and fodder, but fodder is much more cost efficient and healthy.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on the subject! :)

Blessings -

~ Aspen

Believe it or not, scroll back to post #53 and they discuss this, and feel the answer is 'yes'.

Last edited:
We have a large population of eagles, fox and coyotes so our chickens cannot free range. Does throwing the sprouts into a chicken run end up making a big mess in the run? It looks from the photos like a lot of roots are left over and they tear everything up when eating the sprouts.

We have a large population of eagles, fox and coyotes so our chickens cannot free range.  Does throwing the sprouts into a chicken run end up making a big mess in the run?  It looks from the photos like a lot of roots are left over and they tear everything up when eating the sprouts.  

Hey there fellow Minnesotan! (I am going off username) my hens clean up everything! Nothing is left over!

P.S. you should join us on the Minnesota thread if that is where your from!

Back
Top Bottom