Growing fodder for chickens

Tyler, do you have any natural foods stores near you? I was able to go to the manager of our local Natural Grocers and he ordered a 50 lb bag of organic wheat berries for me. It was around $36, which might be a little high, but still under a $1 a pound. And, really, I have had the best luck with the organic vs the stuff from the feed store. I have more problems battling molds from the feed store seeds.
No dirt needed.

Does anyone know where i can get wheat, barley or Boss seed either online or near washington DC?

Under $30 for a 50 lb bag of organic seed would be great. I can only use Organic seeds.

Thanks,

Tyler

Hi all,

Just to add more to an already huge thread, here is the sprouter I just got and am using now to make my hen fodder:

You can order this from Jung's Seed Catalog here for $16.00: (http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=54115) (three trays)

Or you can get it at Amazon here: (http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1...=UTF8&qid=1358016229&sr=8-4&keywords=victorio).

I got mine from Amazon, because for some reason the one at Jung's only has 3 trays, the Amazon one has 4, and it is $1.00 more.

I just started mine with buckwheat in the bottom, and alfalfa in the next two (that's all I had for seed.) The fourth tray I set aside to start in a week or so, that way it has continuous production.

It's pretty neat - you just have to rinse the seed, (no soaking needed according to directions), and put a layer of it in the tray, stack if you are doing more than one, and add water to the top tray, twice a day. It automatically drips through them all and the water collects in the bottom and you dump that water when you add more. When the seeds are not yet sprouted, more water stays behind in the trays which is why they say you do not need to soak the seeds first cuz they are kept uniformly damp.

Well I have just started my first batch in this contraption, but so far I like it way better than my previous homemade colander/tupperware arrangement! I will report back on here when the sprouts are ready and let you all know how well it worked...or not.

Makes me think could a dehydrator tray work? Looks like the same basic set up but without the heat. ... I am using the heater element in the bator anyway LOL.

I finally got my fodder growing rotation going to where I can set out and restart a new tray everyday.

It took a while to work out issues with mold but now it is going great and my girls really love the fresh grass.

Last edited:
Is this the thread where we were talking about the different stages of growing sprouts to fodder and the nutritive value of each stage?

I think I probably wasn't feeling too great the day that the link was posted and someone said they believed from the information provided that oats would be the very best thing to sprout (if you could get the things to do so!)

Could someone provide that link again. I need to look at what I'm feeding and try to figure out exactly what my birds are receiving, nutrition-wise.

I appreciate your help.

Is this the thread where we were talking about the different stages of growing sprouts to fodder and the nutritive value of each stage?

I think I probably wasn't feeling too great the day that the link was posted and someone said they believed from the information provided that oats would be the very best thing to sprout (if you could get the things to do so!)

Could someone provide that link again. I need to look at what I'm feeding and try to figure out exactly what my birds are receiving, nutrition-wise.

I appreciate your help.
I found 2 first one is long so look past it to see the second one.

Quote:

I'm just going by what it says in the articles in above post and some other reading that I did and all that I read says 1 square inch per chicken is all that should be fed. My goal is to do what is best for the chickens and save money but not compromise one for the other. Good health comes from a balanced diet. You can say they know what they need but leave them with all they can eat (insert your chickens favorite food here) and stuff that is good for them and provides a balanced diet and see what they will eat every day. I know mine would eat meal worms all day every day but it would not be good for them.
Just my opinion but to much fodder does not leave room for the rest of a balanced diet.

Here's the second one.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/what-to-feed-chickens-zmaz75sozgoe.aspx

Just so I know were I was page 46

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just to add more to an already huge thread, here is the sprouter I just got and am using now to make my hen fodder:

You can order this from Jung's Seed Catalog here for $16.00: (http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=54115) (three trays)

Or you can get it at Amazon here: (http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1...=UTF8&qid=1358016229&sr=8-4&keywords=victorio).

I got mine from Amazon, because for some reason the one at Jung's only has 3 trays, the Amazon one has 4, and it is $1.00 more.

I just started mine with buckwheat in the bottom, and alfalfa in the next two (that's all I had for seed.) The fourth tray I set aside to start in a week or so, that way it has continuous production.

It's pretty neat - you just have to rinse the seed, (no soaking needed according to directions), and put a layer of it in the tray, stack if you are doing more than one, and add water to the top tray, twice a day. It automatically drips through them all and the water collects in the bottom and you dump that water when you add more. When the seeds are not yet sprouted, more water stays behind in the trays which is why they say you do not need to soak the seeds first cuz they are kept uniformly damp.

Well I have just started my first batch in this contraption, but so far I like it way better than my previous homemade colander/tupperware arrangement! I will report back on here when the sprouts are ready and let you all know how well it worked...or not.
Oh, please do post back and let us know how this works. I have been eyeballing that sprouter for a while now, but was unsure of how it worked or if it worked!

Oh, please do post back and let us know how this works. I have been eyeballing that sprouter for a while now, but was unsure of how it worked or if it worked!

Hi, sure will...I have my digits X'd that it will work as advertised. I only have to provide for 4 hens, so this size of a production is great for me and so compact and tidy.

Here are some pics from this morning, Sunday, this is after I put the seeds in on Friday, so they sprouted fast. buckwheat on left alfalfas on right:

Back
Top Bottom