Growing fodder for chickens

Thanks Pigeonguy. I went through those listed and that is some really good info. In fact, I'm going to see if I can get that one book printed.

I was referring to when we were talking about the protein content of your chosen feed being fermented which made the nutrients 12% more available. Then someone provided a link that apparently talked about the different lengths of sprouts and what the changes in the nutritional compositions were. Oh, I knew I should have gone to it and bookmarked it. It was quite lengthy, like that which you shared and I remember I didn't feel good that day, headache or something and couldn't bare to look at the computer any longer. I should have done it anyway!

I got some regular crimped oats at the feed store and they don't sprout much better than the racehorse oats. I'm thinking I may have to get some "seed oats" for planting. I'll be calling my girl at the feed store on Monday to see if she can get them. Everything else sprouts really well, just not the oats.

Thanks Pigeonguy. I went through those listed and that is some really good info. In fact, I'm going to see if I can get that one book printed.

I was referring to when we were talking about the protein content of your chosen feed being fermented which made the nutrients 12% more available. Then someone provided a link that apparently talked about the different lengths of sprouts and what the changes in the nutritional compositions were. Oh, I knew I should have gone to it and bookmarked it. It was quite lengthy, like that which you shared and I remember I didn't feel good that day, headache or something and couldn't bare to look at the computer any longer. I should have done it anyway!

I got some regular crimped oats at the feed store and they don't sprout much better than the racehorse oats. I'm thinking I may have to get some "seed oats" for planting. I'll be calling my girl at the feed store on Monday to see if she can get them. Everything else sprouts really well, just not the oats.
I haven't been able to get any oats to sprout very well. So, I'm doing the fermented grain thing with the oats and sprouting the seeds that I've had success with.

I really like this idea! I have a couple questions though, I'll have around 10 chickens this March, when is too early to start giving them fodder? Also, how many flats would I have to feed them a day, my end goal is to have them eat fodder daily to cut back on feed costs.

I have 15 chickens and I feed them a 13x9 size flat of fodder daily (alternating rye and wheat). They LOVE it and eat almost all of it every day. It's the middle of winter here so it's the only green they get. I'm hoping to not have to grow fodder during the summer months but I'm glad to be able to give them greens in the winter.

I stopped reading at page 13 and went ahead to pg 104. I know I must have missed a lot, but right now I don't have the time to dedictae to reaoing 90 pages of postings.

Can you use bird seed to sprout? Would that work? Like the mixed seed made for wild birds. I buy BOSS and millet for the birds as a snack now, would sprouting be an option instead?

I stopped reading at page 13 and went ahead to pg 104. I know I must have missed a lot, but right now I don't have the time to dedictae to reaoing 90 pages of postings.

Can you use bird seed to sprout? Would that work? Like the mixed seed made for wild birds. I buy BOSS and millet for the birds as a snack now, would sprouting be an option instead?

YES

I really like this idea! I have a couple questions though, I'll have around 10 chickens this March, when is too early to start giving them fodder? Also, how many flats would I have to feed them a day, my end goal is to have them eat fodder daily to cut back on feed costs.
You have 10 chickens so you need each tray to be 10 square inches. Not cubic inches but square inches with the seeds a 1/2 inch deep.
If you go to post 1028 on page 103 quoted by me from
3riverschick
you will see that is what the experts recommend. They also say that it should not be there only source of food.

Last edited:

I have been using my pigeon feed to sprout, it works just fine. It has a number of types of peas in it and milo .. I do not use my wild bird seed mix cuz it has cracked corn in it, and that will definitely MOLD and that would be bad! So, as long as no cracked corn, it will probably work..

i sometimes add safflower, oilers, and buckwheat, because I have them too.

If you live in the city and are having a hard time finding wheat, barley, or corn, try a home brew store. They will sell it in bulk and can answer questions about "malting" the grain. Back yard chickens and home brewing, these are two of my favorite hobbies.
Mine too! It never occurred to me to malt barley for the birds (I only make wine and don't know how to malt...yet). Do you have other tips on the relationship between backyard birds and backyard brew?

I always dump my wine sediment into my potted plants. I don't know if it gives them much of anything, but I figure it's got to have something valuable in it besides water.

Maybe we need to start a new topic!

Back
Top Bottom