Growing grass in the run

I could put wheat in them my pap gave us about a fifty pound bag of wheat that he was using in his garden so I have some that I just use for there treats and don't know what to do with it
Just make sure it isn't coated with fertilizer, pesticides, fungicides or the like.

Was the wheat sold as feed for livestock or for planting as a cash crop?

........if it's for planting crops, it may have coatings on it the at could be toxic to your birds.

Haven't read this thread except the last two posts. .
hide.gif

My feed store will sell oats by the pound for something like 50-cents per pound - so you don't have to buy a 50# sack. They are used for deer feeders and horses.

seems like oats will germinate in pretty cool weather and when I see rain approaching I like to get a few pounds and throw them in the coops -- the chickens will eat the oats, the oats as they sprout and if any grow into grasses -- they will eat those too.

I would like to grow grass in the chickens run on one end there run is over 30 feet long and 11 feet wide and I would like to put in a splitter in between the run somewhere and have a section of grass the can go in when it gets high and I need to be able to lift it up so does anyone know how I could do that? As also I would like to keep there compost box over in the corner where it is and is there a way I could keep them from digging up the grass or once it roots will it be harder for them to dig it up? Thanks
For the OP -- have seen raised beds with some wire across the top -- the chickens can access the greens when they grow above the wire and not scratch up the roots.

Lots of similar you tubes there.

There run is way to big to try and try to be putting in new leaves or straw or something in there run is over 30 feet long and 11 feet wide plus they can go under there 4x8 coop good idea though if it were smaller I would have a ally do that thanks

Last edited:
My run is an old carport 20x20. We throw in grass clippings, chopped leaves, wood shavings from the brooders, and clippings from the garden

It builds up over time, and it's free.

My run is an old carport 20x20. We throw in grass clippings, chopped leaves, wood shavings from the brooders, and clippings from the garden

It builds up over time, and it's free.
Ditto Dat^^^

Quote:
My run is 8 x 50...I do the same as FridayYet, just keep adding it as you get it.

Back
Top Bottom