Growing greens and veggies for ducks

Bob-and-Donna

Chirping
Mar 24, 2022
Howdy all,
So here we are, about to embark on this marvelous thing of raising some Silver Appleyards. Wouldn't you know it, despite all the plans for canning/freezing/eating out of the garden (what a shame we don't have uncle Curtis to chase out of the tomatos any more, he'd sneak in there with a knife and a salt shaker...well you get the idea..) I laughed till I cried watching mom run him off with fly swatter..good times. We are going to have enough room to dedicate to growing fresh goodies for the girls. So this question might be silly, but we'd like to know yall's thoughts on what to grow for the ducks as everyone says they go bananas over the fresh stuff and we have no downside to doing that for them, just want to focus on the right choices. So what can we grow them?

Thanks again,
Bob and Donna

That is excellent news, we will plan on at least 3 positions on a hydroponics tube for cherry tomatoes...This is going to be a hoot. Also, we have an entire row of peas planned, we'll put in a little more. Thank you!

That is excellent news, we will plan on at least 3 positions on a hydroponics tube for cherry tomatoes...This is going to be a hoot. Also, we have an entire row of peas planned, we'll put in a little more. Thank you!
You're welcome! I'm sure some other people will chime in with what their ducks enjoy from the garden, too.
I also gave mine lettuce that went to seed and they enjoyed that.

My ducks think tomatoes and peas are 🤮 and won't touch them. They do like some squashes (cooked if you please). In addition to mealworm and corn treats, they absolutely love watermelon. I can't grow it here but my local grocery store almost always have some at 50% off.

My ducks think tomatoes and peas are 🤮 and won't touch them. They do like some squashes (cooked if you please). In addition to mealworm and corn treats, they absolutely love watermelon. I can't grow it here but my local grocery store almost always have some at 50% off.
Watermelon? I didnt see that coming, looking forward to seeing what the girls like, all great ideas :) Thanks!

My ducks love diced zuchinni, cucumbers, and kale - all pretty easy to grow. I freeze zuchinni in small pieces too so I can unthaw and give them treats during the winter.

Not a lot of nutrition in lettuce: kale is more nutritious for your ducks and mine love chopped kale.

Some but not all like cherry tomatoes. All like peas -- frozen and thawed: I don't know that they would eat peas straight from the pod in your garden

Back
Top Bottom