Avian Influenza Brainstorming

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
We're in Maine, and we've now had a couple confirmed cases of avian influenza in our county (both quite close). We currently only have five silver Appleyard ducks (1 drake and four hens). They have a predator proof 16'x8' covered run with an attached 4'x8' duckhouse. We use the deep litter method in the duckhouse. I'm going to share what we used to do and what we are doing now. Then I'll share what we're thinking about doing and some questions. We'd love to hear what are you doing and plan to do to keep your flock healthy and happy.

OUR REGULAR HUSBANDRY

Our general routine is spot clean the duckhouse in the morning, change 5-gallon bucket of water, feed "soup for ducks" (peas, greens and mealworm crumble) and rake out food and water area in the run. We generally allow one-hour of supervised free range time (while we enjoy our coffee) in the morning. During supervised free range, we let them travel the property, which includes a small brook and a couple small ponds. In the spring, one or two pairs of wild mallards will often also be present in one or more of the ponds. We are close to the ocean, and we have gulls frequently on our property. We have a large wild grow population, and we have wild turkeys. Songbirds abound. After supervised free range time, they are returned to a fenced pasture around their run and duckhouse all day. They have access to food and water all day (food in run and water in small pools in their fenced pasture.

In the evening, we give them about an hour of supervised free range time, spot clean the duckhouse (usually not necessary because they've been out all day), add fresh bedding to the duckhouse, change the 5-gallon water bucket in the run, feed "soup for ducks," feed them a scoop of Mazuri waterfowl breeder, and rake the area in the run around their water bucket.

OUR AVIAN INFLUENZA PROTOCOLS

With avian influenza, we are making some adaptations, and I'd love to hear people's feedback and what you are doing with your flocks. The big change is we are keeping them in their covered predator proof run with no free ranging and no time in their fenced pasture. The only exception to that has been when there is fresh snow and no bird sign (or any sign of any animal) directly outside the door to their run. They have come out for a few minutes and had their soup outside, flapped their wings and then gone back in.

In addition, no visitors, and we are not visiting other flocks. No new birds. We are also increasing our biosecurity protocols and trying to figure out a boot washing station. We've also consulted with our avian vet.

We are cleaning and disinfecting all tools (pitch fork, rake, shovel) and then storing on a rack inside the run. Presently, our tools have been stored outside the run.

CONSIDERATIONS, THOUGHTS & QUESTIONS

The ducks are obviously not at all happy not being able to free range, so we've been thinking about how we can expand their run or utilize a moveable run (e.g., chicken tractor). Unfortunately, I've been led to believe that the virus can remain pathogenic in feces for 3+ months, so that really eliminates a traditional moveable run. The new thought is to build a hoop house run that will be in a semi permanent position where there are no detectable bird feces. We're wondering if raking the area for the hoop house and flushing it with water would be sufficient. We're also wondering about how hey will access the run (there is not enough space to connect it to their current run, unless we remove some fencing. The other big issue is how to cover a hoop house so that feces from birds cannot enter it but we still get good airflow. I suppose we can keep the ends open with wire sides. Having some additional run space is going to be essential once breeding season starts (usually April here for our boy). The only space available now to separate a bird in the existing run is 4'x8' partitioned space under the duckhouse, and it's not tall enough that a bird can really flap his wings comfortably. It works great for night but not 24/7.

We are considering moving away from the deep litter method for the time being so that we can thoroughly clean more regularly. Thoughts?

We've seen the advice "Don't feed on the ground," but I'm not sure what that means. We feed their grain in a grain bowl that sits on the ground inside the run. Thoughts?

We are considering decreasing their feed intake, as they are less active without any foraging. Thoughts?

We are revisiting the idea of adding any supplements to their diet besides the ACV we currently add to their water. Thoughts?

We are considering dedicating a room in the barn (or building a small shed at the duckhouse) for storing all duck related clothing, buckets, feeds, etc. This would be a longterm asset and up our biosecurity game. The challenge is that our barn is an unheated, 19th century hay barn, so we'd need to do some predator proofing. We also live in Maine, so heat is an issue. Having said that, we do keep pigeons inside, and we don't want to cross contaminate, so keeping all duck stuff out of the house is a goal.

@Stoney Meadow Maple posted in another thread that avoiding feed stores and chain stores (e.g., TSC) probably makes sense.

Finally, we need to come up with protocols for our duck sitter and write those up.

So that's what we're doing and what we're considering. We'd love to hear what you're doing.

Thanks and here's to our flocks' health!

Last edited:
Oh dear..this is frightful. I don't live in your state. But I've read about avian flue. Scary stuff. Is there anyway you can burn some ground? And reseed. Usually tremendous heat kills pathogens..I know spit balling...I'm sorry for your situation..
That is a really interesting idea! I had not thought of that, but it would be easy and makes sense. I'm going to do some research. Thank you!

What We need is members from the UK and related countries that have been through this commenting with what they are doing have done
I agree. I've reached out to several I know via social media, and they have been very helpful. I'm under the impression that (at least in some places) they are required to keep their birds under cover.

I edited the above with a suggestion from another member:

We are cleaning and disinfecting all tools (pitch fork, rake, shovel) and then storing on a rack inside the run.

We are struggling with the question of boots. To go from our house to the duckhouse requires crossing the driveway (vector) and then walking along a path where we fairly commonly see wild birds (mostly gulls and turkeys, but we will start to see wild ducks). As such, it would be ideal to have a bucket to clean boots and disinfect at the duckhouse door, but we live in Maine, where water outside is quickly frozen water. I suppose we can carry an extra bucket out 2x/day. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I keep Oxine ah in a spray bottle to clean my roosts in the coop I would think mixing up some in a spray bottle and taking it with you so you can spray your boots down before going inside your run would work fine that way it is not going to freeze since it won't be kept outside I mix 6 1/2 oz to a gallon of water.
https://www.shagbarkbantams.com/the-many-uses-of-oxine-ah-animal-health/

I keep Oxine ah in a spray bottle to clean my roosts in the coop I would think mixing up some in a spray bottle and taking it with you so you can spray your boots down before going inside your run would work fine that way it is not going to freeze since it won't be kept outside I mix 6 1/2 oz to a gallon of water.
https://www.shagbarkbantams.com/the-many-uses-of-oxine-ah-animal-health/
Thanks so much. From what I've read, to truly address AI, one needs to clean and then disinfect. I'll read the article--I'm assuming you can clean with Oxine too?

Back
Top Bottom