Avian Influenza Brainstorming

I have a question about avian flu, it’s not been reported here in Utah yet but I’m curious if eggs are affected as far as hatching?

So let’s say my flock were to get it and needed to be culled but I had eggs of theirs on the counter. Could I incubate and hatch those or would those ducks be infected?

I'm in CA, and every day, AI inches further and further west in the US and further and further south from Canada
I have a question about avian flu, it’s not been reported here in Utah yet but I’m curious if eggs are affected as far as hatching?

So let’s say my flock were to get it and needed to be culled but I had eggs of theirs on the counter. Could I incubate and hatch those or would those ducks be infected?
My gut says yes, but I do not have a good, data-based answer for you. We are incubating this year instead of bringing new birds in.

I read that AI cannot pass from mother to embryo. I also saw this on Meyer's website.

https://www.ksl.com/article/5038855...identified-in-pennsylvania-and-utah-usda-says

This is just from our local news. I tried googling for more info such as where in Utah but everywhere else has about the same story.
Thanks. It's also on the Aphis website now, too. Bad juju. I am reconsidering getting more chicks just because it seems imprudent right now. Just more chickens to try to protect, and if I have to bring them indoors or restrict their movement, I only see more behavior and health problems resulting.

This is such an ugly situation. For all of us. Everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom