Avian Influenza Brainstorming

I'm so sorry, how could only half your flock have gotten it?
It spreads quickly from one bird to another. We think it may have been a bird that was a carrier that we added to the flock earlier in the year. A carrier wouldn't show any symptoms and may not be or get sick (wich none of our new birds did during quarantine) but can still pass the virus to others.

Half was an exaggeration, but we did lose many of our younger birds we got from hatching and buying. As well as a multitude of others. We were confused as to what was going on since each bird that passed showed a different set of symptoms. But when we realized we had it going through our area and looked up the symptoms, all but three of the listed symptoms were observed in our flock, both living and passed. Sadly those that survived or will survive will be carriers themselves.

So you will have to keep your flock closed now? Are your other birds doing well?
No birds in or out of either my bantam or main flock. Any new birds we get (wich we don't plan to anymore this year) will have to be kept in the spare coop and runs. No giving away any of our current bantam or main flock birds (my friend wanted one of the silkies we were gonna give her, but for the safety of her flock, we are no longer going to)

It is still effecting them. Lost two more in just the last two days.

Back
Top Bottom