growing out my hair!

Quote:
That's how mine is right now! I am SOOOOO tempted to cut it, but I found this on pintrest and it keeps me from doing it.
719191a21973bed72d1e01ca1ef7286f.jpg

b8d30cc5c709a3eb3ba5cce520e5236e.jpg

cf8a4b4ea377bcc059b512141f094136.jpg

45db6096fc474e92c44e30a0d6a4d632.jpg

you can see in my profile pic, how long my hair is. a friend took that on new years eve.

i wish i had a picture of all my hair...its always cut off unless its from a distance. My fiancee and me. I am almost done building her tiny house

Last edited:
My hair is down to my waist. I am the wrong side of 45 and I guess over here I am in a minority! I love my hair long and would never change it. I have in the past had it much longer. When I was a child I could sit on it. Sadly my mother cut it off short when I was a teenager. Then I tried to grow it out again and it got down to just past my shoulders. It was back in the 80s and so Perming was all the rage then. I was getting married and wanted it wavey so asked a neighbour I knew to do it for me. She got muddled up as to what I wanted and hacked it off at my neck! Darn
he.gif
So I got married with short hair! Hubby had a broken arm ( he broke it the day before so we were a right pair for the photos!) After that the kids came along and my hair fell out at the root - I ended up having to get it all cut off into a pixie cut.

Since then I have never cut it again. I just get the ends trimmed off. It is down to my waist at last after all these years but never seems to get any longer. I tell my kids I want to be a nursing home nightmare with princess leah plaits! ( star wars!) - The biggest thing I regret is the day my mom cut my hair off because she thought I needed to "look grown up" going to big school! It never got to that length again. In truth my father hated my long hair because I used to block up the sink with it! Of course I found that out years later - he could have bought a trap for it!
somad.gif

So now I keep the long hair and enjoy it. I love putting it in different styles - Loads of folk comment on how lovely it looks. They think I spend loads of time and money on it. I don't - Nothing in fact as my daughter trims it for me. I have a neighbour who spends over £100 on her hair everytime she goes to a hair dresser??????? I just put mine up and stick a few silk flowers in it or plait it overbnight and wear it wavey and folk think I spent a fortune! lol
lol.png
I am very lucky. It also makes me feel and look younger.

Thing is these days when you get to "an age", girls are encouraged to cut their hair ? Looking back in history it really is only from the 1910-1920 era that girls started to cut their hair at all. It was always seen as a sign of purity up until then after that of course the flapper girls were in vogue! It was mostly only married women who cut their hair first of all and then it snowballed. But before that for thousands of years girls never cut their hair.

Oes - I don't have a long haired dog for nothing! They say owners end up like their pets!

Last edited:
Though the dog is cute, you are very beautiful! And your hair is too!

I went through the exact same thing as you....I had hair down to my waist in grade school and then before I went to 7th grade my mom cut it off to my shoulders. I have no idea why she did that but it never really grew past my shoulders ever since then, though I've tried and tried to let it grow. Got the 80s shag and perm after the cut to give it more character and did that for many years before finally stopping the perms. Never really lost the layered cut, though, because my hair has a wave and gets really big instead of long now...and never grows past that magic shoulder blade length.

Now I have a hot mess of hair that needs a good cut, has turned salt and pepper and has lost its original nice texture and curl. Now it just has a wave and no particular shape or cut at all and still can't grow it out to its former length or thickness...gets to the shoulder blades and stops. *sigh*

Some of these posts make me think of my aunt, who has grown out her hair since she was pretty young. She's also the 'wrong side of 45' (lol) now and her hair touches the floor - she gets it trimmed so she doesn't trip over it (although when I was visiting her recently she did still step on it now and then :p) and spends about twenty minutes every morning brushing and plaiting it.

My hair is shoulder length and I think is destined always to be shoulder length, not because it doesn't grow (to quote Sheldon, I reckon one can hear my hair growing if one is quiet :lol: It grows creepily fast and is very thick. Makes it hard to do nice hairstyles, so I mostly leave it down or have a ponytail.) but because I cut it every few months. I think long hair is just a bother to have to deal with, me being a fundamentally lazy person. My hair is dark, so in summer it gets pretty scalding to the touch and my neck doesn't reward me for having it long :p

When I was a little kid I had longer hair and my mother used to help me do it up nicely every day. And then came the holiday to France - we were running tight on time for the 6 hour drive to Dover, having not actually yet left the house, and because I was being annoying not staying still for the hairstyling, a pair of scissors was fetched and all my hair got cut off. :p (With my consent, of course, but it was a heat of the moment thing) I had it short like boys' hair for the next three years and quite enjoyed it actually. It was only when I moved to an all girls' school for high school that I realised it wasn't attractive in the slightest, and now I should probably start making an effort with my hair, being a lady and everything. lol.

Last edited:
My hair is down to my waist. I am the wrong side of 45 and I guess over here I am in a minority! I love my hair long and would never change it. I have in the past had it much longer. When I was a child I could sit on it. Sadly my mother cut it off short when I was a teenager. Then I tried to grow it out again and it got down to just past my shoulders. It was back in the 80s and so Perming was all the rage then. I was getting married and wanted it wavey so asked a neighbour I knew to do it for me. She got muddled up as to what I wanted and hacked it off at my neck! Darn
he.gif
So I got married with short hair! Hubby had a broken arm ( he broke it the day before so we were a right pair for the photos!) After that the kids came along and my hair fell out at the root - I ended up having to get it all cut off into a pixie cut.

Since then I have never cut it again. I just get the ends trimmed off. It is down to my waist at last after all these years but never seems to get any longer. I tell my kids I want to be a nursing home nightmare with princess leah plaits! ( star wars!) - The biggest thing I regret is the day my mom cut my hair off because she thought I needed to "look grown up" going to big school! It never got to that length again. In truth my father hated my long hair because I used to block up the sink with it! Of course I found that out years later - he could have bought a trap for it!
somad.gif

So now I keep the long hair and enjoy it. I love putting it in different styles - Loads of folk comment on how lovely it looks. They think I spend loads of time and money on it. I don't - Nothing in fact as my daughter trims it for me. I have a neighbour who spends over £100 on her hair everytime she goes to a hair dresser??????? I just put mine up and stick a few silk flowers in it or plait it overbnight and wear it wavey and folk think I spent a fortune! lol
lol.png
I am very lucky. It also makes me feel and look younger.

Thing is these days when you get to "an age", girls are encouraged to cut their hair ? Looking back in history it really is only from the 1910-1920 era that girls started to cut their hair at all. It was always seen as a sign of purity up until then after that of course the flapper girls were in vogue! It was mostly only married women who cut their hair first of all and then it snowballed. But before that for thousands of years girls never cut their hair.

Oes - I don't have a long haired dog for nothing! They say owners end up like their pets!
You are soooo pretty! I love your hair! that's my goal length!

Though the dog is cute, you are very beautiful! And your hair is too!

I went through the exact same thing as you....I had hair down to my waist in grade school and then before I went to 7th grade my mom cut it off to my shoulders. I have no idea why she did that but it never really grew past my shoulders ever since then, though I've tried and tried to let it grow. Got the 80s shag and perm after the cut to give it more character and did that for many years before finally stopping the perms. Never really lost the layered cut, though, because my hair has a wave and gets really big instead of long now...and never grows past that magic shoulder blade length.

Now I have a hot mess of hair that needs a good cut, has turned salt and pepper and has lost its original nice texture and curl. Now it just has a wave and no particular shape or cut at all and still can't grow it out to its former length or thickness...gets to the shoulder blades and stops. *sigh*
I know! Sometimes it just won't grow! Mine is back down to the bra strap line in the back which is where it was when I cut it in mid November. it has grown about 4 inches! I am having a HORRIBLE time growing out my DREADFULLY thick bangs though. this looks like my hair:
a046ce938289aadf1378cecf229dcd15.jpg

not quite that long though, to the tip of my nose... So I guess it will look okay later...
That actually looks JUST LIKE my hair. (cut wise)

Some of these posts make me think of my aunt, who has grown out her hair since she was pretty young. She's also the 'wrong side of 45' (lol) now and her hair touches the floor - she gets it trimmed so she doesn't trip over it (although when I was visiting her recently she did still step on it now and then
tongue.png
) and spends about twenty minutes every morning brushing and plaiting it.

My hair is shoulder length and I think is destined always to be shoulder length, not because it doesn't grow (to quote Sheldon, I reckon one can hear my hair growing if one is quiet
lol.png
It grows creepily fast and is very thick. Makes it hard to do nice hairstyles, so I mostly leave it down or have a ponytail.) but because I cut it every few months. I think long hair is just a bother to have to deal with, me being a fundamentally lazy person. My hair is dark, so in summer it gets pretty scalding to the touch and my neck doesn't reward me for having it long
tongue.png

When I was a little kid I had longer hair and my mother used to help me do it up nicely every day. And then came the holiday to France - we were running tight on time for the 6 hour drive to Dover, having not actually yet left the house, and because I was being annoying not staying still for the hairstyling, a pair of scissors was fetched and all my hair got cut off.
tongue.png
(With my consent, of course, but it was a heat of the moment thing) I had it short like boys' hair for the next three years and quite enjoyed it actually. It was only when I moved to an all girls' school for high school that I realised it wasn't attractive in the slightest, and now I should probably start making an effort with my hair, being a lady and everything. lol.
WOW!!! That is Too long for me! lol, it's hard to be a lady!

A few good tips. -
1) If you have dark hair, it will naturally attract the warmth of the sun. In hot weather wear a White floppy hat. This will reflect the heat not obsorb it.
Your hair dries out in the heat so use a good oil treatment.
2) Don't over wash your hair. This washes out its natural oils. So wash it every 3/4 days. Massage your scalp often as this helps blood supply to hair folicles and releases your natural oils into the hair shaft.Even a really good shampoo and conditioner is no replacement for your natural hair oils.
3) Always brush from the sculp to the tip of the hair. Never brush halfway as this creates tats and damages the hair.
4) To help damaged /splitends. Use vasiline. Put a bit of vasiline on the tips of your hair. This will give it strength and help to avoid splitting and breakage.
(There is nothing worse than going to the hair dresser and they say you have split ends we need to cut a good 4/5 inches off!)
5) If you dye your hair use a really good brand. Do not keep dying it every few weeks as this will burn your hair. ( I dye mine but only maybe 10 /12 times a year tops.) Do not be ashamed of grey! - one of my favourite bible verses is " Grey hair is a crown of splender obtained by a rightious life! " Proverbs 16:31 It is my excuse and I am sticking to it!
6) Eat a healthy diet - your hair is what you eat! If your diet is poor the condition of your hair will be too!
Some of my idols in the long hair world!
Crystal Gayle - Who still has incredibly long hair!!!!!!!!!
CRYSTALGALEOEOEOE.jpg

Jane Seymour - who has sadly given in to colouring and cutting and perming. She does not now have her once wonderful crown in glory!
th

If you value it look after it and treasure it - then maybe you might still have it when you are old!
Like Crystal Gayle who still looks fab!
Crystal+Gayle+Honored+Hollywood+Walk+Fame+-AvLGuHYty3l.jpg

One day I am going to be a nursing home nightmare.
Princess leia!!!!!!!!
th
l

Oes

Last edited:
i wasnt going to put this because i dont like the way that spot of hair looks on my head , all those dreads are pushed in front it takes a little off my length.. pretend my shirt is pulled all the way down
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom