Guard dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

@Cooper Gs Coop sounds like you have your dog headed in the right direction! One thing I notice in herding and hunting breeds is they like to put their paw on the chicken's tails so if you see any of this kind of behavior you're going to gently show them not to.

I have a pit/heeler/lab mix and could trust him with ANYTHING! One night I was home with my mom and siblings when my dad was gone. When it was about 3:30 have Boaz wakes me up and wanted outside (he has never done this before)...I got a flashlight and let him out the door when there I saw a coyote headed towards the goat's pen. He grabbed that thing and chased it off our property!..goodbye coyote! After that, he had my full and total trust! He LOVES his chickens and goats! He seeks out attention from his goats but he wouldn't be able to live with them 24/7 but he is what I call a "good farm dog".

Last edited:
We have 2 old fashioned mutts as our farm dogs. Stella is a greyhound/shepherd/possibly dane? mix...and probably a dozen other breeds we haven't identified and Griffin is the black and white boxer/terrier mix. They were both adults when we started out with chickens 2 years ago. They were both extremely curious, so we had a strict "no mixing of species" rule unless supervised closely in the beginning. Stella trained easily...any time she paid the chickens any attention, I would call her off and she would listen immediately (she's always a good listener). Griffin, on the other hand, is stubborn (as expected) and was pretty obsessed initially. Once the chickens were grown enough to be free ranging, he would accompany me on leash only to sit outside with them. I loved on him when he was calm and ignoring the chickens and would redirect his attention when he started focusing on them. I was pretty convinced that he would never be trustworthy around them. I was wrong...we were patient, he improved every day and after several weeks he was roaming with them with supervision and we have never had a mishap.

It's been 2 years now and both dogs are out with them all day every day...unless the weather is bad...then they are inside...because they are snowflakes. ;) They are never supervised...the chickens free range and the dogs stay out during the day to deter predators. The only predator we really have problems with are hawks and we have never lost a chicken to a hawk when the dogs have been out. When our current neighbors moved in, their dog came across the field between us to check us out and our dogs made a big ruckus, but there wasn't a squabble until the neighbor dog started moving toward our flock. Stella attacked her then and sent her running for home. For what it's worth, the neighbor dog is also great with chickens and didn't truly pose a threat, but Stella didn't know that...she is a lab and ranges with her own flock without issue as well. I don't think that my dogs, or the neighbor's dogs are particularly special (well...they are definitely special to me), but they have been worked with and trained diligently. There's no doubt that LGDs were bred for the job, but they take training and work too. I'll stick with my shelter mutts. :)

What many others have also not taken into consideration here is the size and type of the non-LGD dogs they have 'guarding' their fowl. Perhaps all they have to worry about is a possum, raccoons and a fox. In other words, small predators that can be taken on by such small non LGD breeds.

On commercial livestock operations out West here, that is not the case.

Out here in NV where sheep are run in the 1000's, and cattle in the 10,000's, we have lion, bear, wolves, feral dog packs, coyote packs, fox, birds of prey etc., a small 40 -70 pound dog (let me say, anything under 100 pounds), is no match for keeping large predators from livestock and poultry. Also, coyotes work it. Do you know how? They will send a solo coyote out as a decoy to draw the one LGD away from it's flock or herd. Then the rest of the coyote pack comes in from the other side and wipes out your livestock, packs off a lamb, chickens, etc. That is why savvy operators always run several LGDs. One is never enough. They cannot be everywhere at once. But again this is on large ranches and farms, too. But fact remains: a small dog is no match for this type of predator and never will be. A pit bull grabs one coyote and hangs on while the rest come in and eviscerate him or break legs. That's life out here in the "Big Nasty".

That is why LGD breeds are large. Some are huge, over 200 pounds. They HAVE to be. A sheltie or even a lab is no match for a pack of coyotes or a bear or a wolf. That is where the rubber meets the road and where your theories all really get tested in the end. And ultimately, where many people advocating the use of small non LGD breeds will ultimately perhaps find out what I am saying, is true.

Finally, and this needs to be said, I'm trying to be as diplomatic here as I can be. I'm no chicken expert and never will be - and I'd defer to someone who knows more about chickens than I do were I to be doing research on a chicken subject. I'd hardly be coming in here with a chip on my shoulder, arguing with someone who is more savvy about a chicken ailment than I am. Well….? It works both ways. My expertise is in LGDs, period. I doubt many others on this forum have the experience I have had with them, and so I am somewhat affronted but not surprised by the hostile way everyone is reacting to my posts about LGDs. Its like no one can tell you - you already know it all. Hmmmm….?

I'll leave it at that. I posted over in the Predators forum links to my blog and there is a ton of good info on it I hope people will read in order to learn more about using LGDs. That's all I care about, teaching folks how to understand and use these dogs properly. Don't hate me for it!

I haven't read this whole thread so this may be a repeat question, what is the best dog to guard chickens and children from predators in your opinion? No I don't expect dogs to keep my kids safe, I never leave their side lol buy it's a bonus knowing they will be protective. Also I'm very New with the abbreviations!

We have an 11 year old chocolate lab. When he was 9 when first got chicks, he seemed excited and drooled at the sight of the chicks so we were worried. We let him know as they grew the chickens were our friends and he needed to be nice. We leave him alone with them now. I wouldn't call him a guard dog though, he just does his own thing and ignores them. I've seen the chickens peck his tail and he didn't move. I think his presence deters predators but he is an inside dog at heart. We have a friend who has a pit mix and when we dog sit her she is the same way, just ignores them. Now with our second round of chicks he wasn't excited or drooling at all.

What many others have also not taken into consideration here is the size and type of the non-LGD dogs they have 'guarding' their fowl.  Perhaps all they have to worry about is a possum, raccoons and a fox.  In other words, small predators that can be taken on by such small non LGD breeds.

Out here in NV where sheep are run in the 1000's, and cattle in the 10,000's, we have lion, bear, wolves, feral dog packs, coyote packs, fox, birds of prey etc., a small 40 -70 pound dog (let me say, anything under 100 pounds), is no match for keeping large predators from livestock and poultry.  Also, coyotes work it.  Do you know how?  They will send a solo coyote out as a decoy to draw the one LGD away from it's flock or herd.  Then the rest of the coyote pack comes in from the other side and wipes out your livestock, packs off a lamb, chickens, etc.  That is why savvy operators always run several LGDs.  One is never enough.  They cannot be everywhere at once.  But again this is on large ranches and farms, too.  But fact remains: a small dog is no match for this type of predator and never will be.  A pit bull grabs one coyote and hangs on while the rest come in and eviscerate him or break legs.  That's life out here in the "Big Nasty".

That is why LGD breeds are large. Some are huge, over 200 pounds.  They HAVE to be.  A sheltie or even a lab is no match for a pack of coyotes or a bear or a wolf.  That is where the rubber meets the road and where your theories all really get tested in the end.  And ultimately, where many people advocating the use of small non LGD breeds will ultimately perhaps find out what I am saying, is true.

Finally, and this needs to be said, I'm trying to be as diplomatic here as I can be.  I'm no chicken expert and never will be - and I'd defer to someone who knows more about chickens than I do were I to be doing research on a chicken subject.  I'd hardly be coming in here with a chip on my shoulder, arguing with someone who is more savvy about a chicken ailment than I am.  Well….?  It works both ways.  My expertise is in LGDs, period.  I doubt many others on this forum have the experience I have had with them, and so I am somewhat affronted but not surprised by the hostile way everyone is reacting to my posts about LGDs.  Its like no one can tell you  - you already know it all.  Hmmmm….?

I'll leave it at that.  I posted over in the Predators forum links to my blog and there is a ton of good info on it I hope people will read in order to learn more about using LGDs.  That's all I care about, teaching folks how to understand and use these dogs properly.  Don't hate me for it!

No hate here. We live in different worlds. I live on a small farm on the MN prairie. My "livestock" is my chickens. They free range around our outbuildings (which are about the equivalent of a city block from the house.) They are securely cooped at night. Our largest predators are coyotes which usually don't come around during the day. My feeling is that an LGD is not practical for my situation, and probably isn't for most small time chicken keepers. They are wonderful animals, and definitely have their place.

I haven't read this whole thread so this may be a repeat question, what is the best dog to guard chickens and children from predators in your opinion? No I don't expect dogs to keep my kids safe, I never leave their side lol buy it's a bonus knowing they will be protective. Also I'm very New with the abbreviations!

I would say that depends on your location, setup, number of chickens and types of predators you have.

What many others have also not taken into consideration here is the size and type of the non-LGD dogs they have 'guarding' their fowl.  Perhaps all they have to worry about is a possum, raccoons and a fox.  In other words, small predators that can be taken on by such small non LGD breeds.

Out here in NV where sheep are run in the 1000's, and cattle in the 10,000's, we have lion, bear, wolves, feral dog packs, coyote packs, fox, birds of prey etc., a small 40 -70 pound dog (let me say, anything under 100 pounds), is no match for keeping large predators from livestock and poultry.  Also, coyotes work it.  Do you know how?  They will send a solo coyote out as a decoy to draw the one LGD away from it's flock or herd.  Then the rest of the coyote pack comes in from the other side and wipes out your livestock, packs off a lamb, chickens, etc.  That is why savvy operators always run several LGDs.  One is never enough.  They cannot be everywhere at once.  But again this is on large ranches and farms, too.  But fact remains: a small dog is no match for this type of predator and never will be.  A pit bull grabs one coyote and hangs on while the rest come in and eviscerate him or break legs.  That's life out here in the "Big Nasty".

That is why LGD breeds are large. Some are huge, over 200 pounds.  They HAVE to be.  A sheltie or even a lab is no match for a pack of coyotes or a bear or a wolf.  That is where the rubber meets the road and where your theories all really get tested in the end.  And ultimately, where many people advocating the use of small non LGD breeds will ultimately perhaps find out what I am saying, is true.

Finally, and this needs to be said, I'm trying to be as diplomatic here as I can be.  I'm no chicken expert and never will be - and I'd defer to someone who knows more about chickens than I do were I to be doing research on a chicken subject.  I'd hardly be coming in here with a chip on my shoulder, arguing with someone who is more savvy about a chicken ailment than I am.  Well….?  It works both ways.  My expertise is in LGDs, period.  I doubt many others on this forum have the experience I have had with them, and so I am somewhat affronted but not surprised by the hostile way everyone is reacting to my posts about LGDs.  Its like no one can tell you  - you already know it all.  Hmmmm….?

I'll leave it at that.  I posted over in the Predators forum links to my blog and there is a ton of good info on it I hope people will read in order to learn more about using LGDs.  That's all I care about, teaching folks how to understand and use these dogs properly.  Don't hate me for it!

No hostility here! I agree that LGDs are fantastic beasts and given what you are using them for, are the best dog for the job. The OP came here asking for advice to assure that the dogs they already have would get along with their flock. Most people were responding with their personal stories of our regular, companion, pet-type dogs coexisting and even guarding the flock. I am sure a pack of LGDs is invaluable to sheep ranchers in your area, but my dogs are the ones I chose as pets first and farm dogs second. If they hadn't gotten over their chicken obsession, we would have just made sure they didn't mix. There's a place for both categories of dogs, just not on my small 7 acre property and I imagine most of the responders on this thread feel the same way.

I will say Brenda's post have done a lot for us! We were going to get an SM when I came across Brenda on a form and talked with her...she directed me to read thru all her blog posts. I read them along with my dad and it helped us make the best for our small farm (I mean small...like one acre)! When we were first looking at what was best for our farm everyone said LGD...defentily wouldn't have been a good match! We have decided to get a BMD!
Brenda's blog post are very helpful!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom