Predator/Great Pyrenees help needed!

jjaazzy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Davie, Fl
Need help and advice.

Since the shutdown the Coyotes have moved into my area. I have a large flock of chickens that gets cooped at night with a hot line so those are safe but since I free range and there are a ton of places to hide, some chickens decide that they want to put the FREE in free range and roost IDK where at night. So they get up in the morning start their day and the Coyote comes 7-9 am. this last week I have lost 3. I tell you they are pretty darn brazen, and my dogs have been bit. My bully this morning refused to go deal with it, he got bit 3 days ago and this morning the BC did go on chase, but he got bit on the nose pretty bad. My dogs are around 60lbs and need back up. I have a 3rd puppy dog we rescued. around Valentines but he is smallish, and I fear he's not up to the task and going to get hurt plus he's on full play mode is going to want to play with it and coyote is thinking meal! So, I am considering a Great Pyrenees, 1 or 2, they seem to be available in my area for not that much cost. Some say no cats, I have cats, so do you think this dog has too high a prey drive? I was thinking taking on a rehome situation because it helps an older dog out and then I get the benefit of someone big enough to help with this situation now. or start with a puppy, which means I have no help for IDK 6+ months. We have lots of dog background 5 BC and other breeds, horses etc. But I am in the dark with this and want to lean on others who can guide me. Years ago, some lady was rehoming her GP and she told me they are roaming dogs and can't be trusted to stay on property. That seems kind of counter intuitive to being a livestock guard. We are lifers with the dogs/animals, so I don't want to get in a regret situation.

Is your property dog fenced? GPs will roam and have pretty much 0 recall. I love GPx. Still have the guarding instincts but is more interested in hanging with the family. I also like a dog who wants to patrol and bark at night. Sleeps during the day.

Is your property dog fenced? GPs will roam and have pretty much 0 recall. I love GPx. Still have the guarding instincts but is more interested in hanging with the family. I also like a dog who wants to patrol and bark at night. Sleeps during the day.
Yes, we are fenced, 4ft fence keeps horses, chickens, dogs, cats in but not Coyotes out. I did research to see how tall the fence has to be to keep Coytes out. Shocking they can scale a 14ft fence.......... :th
Please explain to me your comment on 0 recall, what does that mean? And I don't mind the hang with the family aspect. I know going in we will pretty much suck at keeping the dog with the birds all the time. But, I do need one that will go and take care of business when we let them out. Last night our BC heard something, and he is so attached to my husband I can't just let him out, he has to go with DH. (he is a rescue loves DH) and he went to work right away but no back up. My bully was like nope! He is an iguana hunter, but now wants nothing to do with the coyotes. I can't blame him.

I have a pitbull, a basset hound and a great pyrenees x anatolian shepherd mix pup. The pup is only 4 months old and about the same size as the the other 2. He is very protective and stays with the goats 24/7. When I was researching a breed of lgd to get i kept reading that this mix makes a superior guard dog. My basset hound and pit sound off when things creep near and that pup charges barking into the dark. I have never had a lgd before, I'm impressed with the natural instinct mine shows. Idk if it's because he's part anatolian but my guy stays close and comes when called.

I have a pitbull, a basset hound and a great pyrenees x anatolian shepherd mix pup. The pup is only 4 months old and about the same size as the the other 2. He is very protective and stays with the goats 24/7. When I was researching a breed of lgd to get i kept reading that this mix makes a superior guard dog. My basset hound and pit sound off when things creep near and that pup charges barking into the dark. I have never had a lgd before, I'm impressed with the natural instinct mine shows. Idk if it's because he's part anatolian but my guy stays close and comes when called.
Thank you so much for this report, there is a young one with this cross available in my area. It's nice to hear about the research you did.
Wow 4 months nice! Thank you...

Yes, we are fenced, 4ft fence keeps horses, chickens, dogs, cats in but not Coyotes out. I did research to see how tall the fence has to be to keep Coytes out. Shocking they can scale a 14ft fence.......... :th
Please explain to me your comment on 0 recall, what does that mean? And I don't mind the hang with the family aspect. I know going in we will pretty much suck at keeping the dog with the birds all the time. But, I do need one that will go and take care of business when we let them out. Last night our BC heard something, and he is so attached to my husband I can't just let him out, he has to go with DH. (he is a rescue loves DH) and he went to work right away but no back up. My bully was like nope! He is an iguana hunter, but now wants nothing to do with the coyotes. I can't blame him.
0 recall, selective hearing, not coming when called, they do eventually return home when they are good and hungry just not now.
I have keeped an adult Akbash (wired just like a GP) and a GP in a 4' fenced area. They were both heavy 120#+ not athletic dogs. They tended to go through instead of over when they were younger. I see GPs kept with sheep and goats confined in temporary electric netting with no issues. Is the 4' fence hot?
My GPxlab male 87#, could hold off 5 coyotes but got the Akbash as backup as he was getting up in years. Your coyotes do not sound healthy and normal
Do the dogs you are considering live with livestock? Their preference should be to be out at night working.

Thank you so much for this report, there is a young one with this cross available in my area. It's nice to hear about the research you did.
Wow 4 months nice! Thank you...
You're welcome. I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He finally got his courage about 2 weeks ago and i just love hearing him running in the woods at night working. I can't wait to watch him progress. We have bobcats, black bears, coyotes etc. Hoping he is up to it in the long run. I have no fence so he is going to be working alot

Back
Top Bottom