Predator/Great Pyrenees help needed!

I agree with this. The size concerns me, I got some wolf pee for now going to try it.
Can you or someone else shoot the coyotes? It’s a matter of when, not if, they return, and when the chickens are gone the dogs have already proven to less of a challenge, especially if one refuses to engage.
My advice is decrease (kill) the pack size now while working on training a LGD. And get a strong 1-2 joule hot wire fence- 4 strands, bait with raw bacon for extra measure.

Can you or someone else shoot the coyotes? It’s a matter of when, not if, they return, and when the chickens are gone the dogs have already proven to less of a challenge, especially if one refuses to engage.
My advice is decrease (kill) the pack size now while working on training a LGD. And get a strong 1-2 joule hot wire fence- 4 strands, bait with raw bacon for extra measure.
Yes, I agree we are trying. I did suggest running the hot line back there. I do have a big zapper, how do you suggest running the lines? I have a roll of white edged black 1" ish ribbon, and I have push in sticks to run the ribbon. I am in the city so I have to be very careful with eliminating them.

Yes, I agree we are trying. I did suggest running the hot line back there. I do have a big zapper, how do you suggest running the lines? I have a roll of white edged black 1" ish ribbon, and I have push in sticks to run the ribbon. I am in the city so I have to be very careful with eliminating them.
Sorry, I’m not familiar with the ribbon. I have used high-viz poly wire in 4-5 strands with lowest strand 4 inches from ground. I used the polycarbonate step in posts spaced every 5-6 feet.
In the city- prob can’t discharge a firearm. Do you have an animal control unit?

Need help and advice.

Since the shutdown the Coyotes have moved into my area. I have a large flock of chickens that gets cooped at night with a hot line so those are safe but since I free range and there are a ton of places to hide, some chickens decide that they want to put the FREE in free range and roost IDK where at night. So they get up in the morning start their day and the Coyote comes 7-9 am. this last week I have lost 3. I tell you they are pretty darn brazen, and my dogs have been bit. My bully this morning refused to go deal with it, he got bit 3 days ago and this morning the BC did go on chase, but he got bit on the nose pretty bad. My dogs are around 60lbs and need back up. I have a 3rd puppy dog we rescued. around Valentines but he is smallish, and I fear he's not up to the task and going to get hurt plus he's on full play mode is going to want to play with it and coyote is thinking meal! So, I am considering a Great Pyrenees, 1 or 2, they seem to be available in my area for not that much cost. Some say no cats, I have cats, so do you think this dog has too high a prey drive? I was thinking taking on a rehome situation because it helps an older dog out and then I get the benefit of someone big enough to help with this situation now. or start with a puppy, which means I have no help for IDK 6+ months. We have lots of dog background 5 BC and other breeds, horses etc. But I am in the dark with this and want to lean on others who can guide me. Years ago, some lady was rehoming her GP and she told me they are roaming dogs and can't be trusted to stay on property. That seems kind of counter intuitive to being a livestock guard. We are lifers with the dogs/animals, so I don't want to get in a regret situation.
Simple solution, aim well, or set traps.

Need help and advice.

Since the shutdown the Coyotes have moved into my area. I have a large flock of chickens that gets cooped at night with a hot line so those are safe but since I free range and there are a ton of places to hide, some chickens decide that they want to put the FREE in free range and roost IDK where at night. So they get up in the morning start their day and the Coyote comes 7-9 am. this last week I have lost 3. I tell you they are pretty darn brazen, and my dogs have been bit. My bully this morning refused to go deal with it, he got bit 3 days ago and this morning the BC did go on chase, but he got bit on the nose pretty bad. My dogs are around 60lbs and need back up. I have a 3rd puppy dog we rescued. around Valentines but he is smallish, and I fear he's not up to the task and going to get hurt plus he's on full play mode is going to want to play with it and coyote is thinking meal! So, I am considering a Great Pyrenees, 1 or 2, they seem to be available in my area for not that much cost. Some say no cats, I have cats, so do you think this dog has too high a prey drive? I was thinking taking on a rehome situation because it helps an older dog out and then I get the benefit of someone big enough to help with this situation now. or start with a puppy, which means I have no help for IDK 6+ months. We have lots of dog background 5 BC and other breeds, horses etc. But I am in the dark with this and want to lean on others who can guide me. Years ago, some lady was rehoming her GP and she told me they are roaming dogs and can't be trusted to stay on property. That seems kind of counter intuitive to being a livestock guard. We are lifers with the dogs/animals, so I don't want to get in a regret situation.
I have a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian mix we rescued at age 1. We moved to land when she was 4ish. She chased the sheep that were staying here temporarily. I now have chickens (born in July). She loves to chase fast moving and fuzzy critters, so I cannot trust her around my chickens. However I have read you can train them as a pup to be around these animals. They are stubborn and hard to train, but I’m guessing it’s possible with lots of patience and discipline….That’s not me. That said, she is extremely affection, loves people, playful, and loves to play with other dogs, but is choosy about which ones she accepts, especially in her own territory. Other characteristics - stubborn so hard to train, but overall well-behaved anyway. Super chill, but can be mischevious. goofy. Her protective instincts which would be helpful if I were not worried about her using the chicks as a toy are: barks a lot, wold definitely chase predators away. She chases large flying birds (hawks, eagles, geese….), and even small birds, chases squirrels, rabbits, you name it. She loves to be outside at night and just lay there and watch her land… but also bark, so if not great if you have nearby neighbors. they definitely love to roam, but when our’s does escape, she never goes far and always comes back home (thankfully safely so far!!). She is beautiful. SO… I think if you get a pup and can work with her diligently, you will have luck!

Attachments

• 1C89122B-6A76-4FB2-B2D8-41D10E603302.jpeg
    1C89122B-6A76-4FB2-B2D8-41D10E603302.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • F2A7C16A-F4BA-48F6-9243-CEE3FCE0CD13.jpeg
    F2A7C16A-F4BA-48F6-9243-CEE3FCE0CD13.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 4
I have a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian mix we rescued at age 1. We moved to land when she was 4ish. She chased the sheep that were staying here temporarily. I now have chickens (born in July). She loves to chase fast moving and fuzzy critters, so I cannot trust her around my chickens. However I have read you can train them as a pup to be around these animals. They are stubborn and hard to train, but I’m guessing it’s possible with lots of patience and discipline….That’s not me. That said, she is extremely affection, loves people, playful, and loves to play with other dogs, but is choosy about which ones she accepts, especially in her own territory. Other characteristics - stubborn so hard to train, but overall well-behaved anyway. Super chill, but can be mischevious. goofy. Her protective instincts which would be helpful if I were not worried about her using the chicks as a toy are: barks a lot, wold definitely chase predators away. She chases large flying birds (hawks, eagles, geese….), and even small birds, chases squirrels, rabbits, you name it. She loves to be outside at night and just lay there and watch her land… but also bark, so if not great if you have nearby neighbors. they definitely love to roam, but when our’s does escape, she never goes far and always comes back home (thankfully safely so far!!). She is beautiful. SO… I think if you get a pup and can work with her diligently, you will have luck!
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me and shed more light on the subject. Beautiful dogs, I love that face! I joined a group on FB, prefer this site to FB but it does allow you to zone in, and this group of Akbash owners were levelheaded people. I decided that it's just too much dog, and although when the Coyotes are passing through it's a pain and I lose birds that decide to put the "free" in free range. It is not a nightly occurrence. I just don't want to put myself or my neighbors through a barking dog scenario. If I rescue one from the pound, I think I will accomplish the same thing and give a deserving dog a home. On that note, I found a 3 year old Akbash that landed at the pound in the Keys FLa. and they won't allow the dog to go to a working home. I hardly see myself as a working home and the dog has been living in a Kennel for over 6 months. I just don't get that logic, we could have given that dog an amazing life. Uggh it makes me so mad. Ok rant over.

Last edited:
A coyote jumped a four foot electric wire fence to attach my sheep. My donkeys ran it off, but the damage was done. Coyotes can clear a fence that your dogs cannot.

Coyotes are considered a nuisance animal and are legal to kill any time during the year. Check out Florida laws and shoot the critter(s) if you can. In your set up I doubt a pack of dogs will deter a coyote. In fact, they will tag team if there are more than one of them. One distracts the dog(s) and the other comes in for the kill.

Where I live people use donkeys as a deterrent. However, they will also keep dogs out of their territory. They hate dogs.

I have heard about using the donkeys and being very successful. Yes, when we first started encountering this Coyote problem, I did some research to see how tall the fence has to be to keep them out. Get this, 14 feet. They can scale a 14ft fence. So, at that point I gave up. We have electric around the coops. so those are safe from whatever goes bump in the night. I got some wolf pee but haven't used it yet cause when I got it we had a lot of rain days on end. Then I forgot cause the problem has seemed to move on, for now. I don't think we can legally shoot anything due to being in the city limits. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me and shed more light on the subject. Beautiful dogs, I love that face! I joined a group on FB, prefer this site to FB but it does allow you to zone in, and this group of Akbash owners were levelheaded people. I decided that it's just too much dog, and although when the Coyotes are passing through it's a pain and I lose birds that decide to put the "free" in free range. It is not a nightly occurrence. I just don't want to put myself or my neighbors through a barking dog scenario. If I rescue one from the pound, I think I will accomplish the same thing and give a deserving dog a home. On that note, I found a 3 year old Akbash that landed at the pound in the Keys FLa. and they won't allow the dog to go to a working home. I hardly see myself as a working home and the dog has been living in a Kennel for over 6 months. I just don't get that logic, we could have given that dog an amazing life. Uggh it makes me so mad. Ok rant over.
Totally get it!! She’s s a lot! Lol… some days I would take a hundred of her…. Other days, never again! I totally hear you on your rant about the dog at the pound…. Although I appreciate (as I’m guessing you do too) the vetting they do to make sure the dog is in the appropriate home… sometimes they definitely pass up on a great home- and for sure better than the pound. I think to help you through (as I have had to do in past when I’ve been ‘rejected’), think and hope that they really knew what they were doing, and especially pray the dog ends up in another loving and maybe a more appropriate home for the dog. But yes, totally hear you and empathize! It does not sound like you are looking for strictly a working dog! I wish us both luck in saving our lovable chickens, and keeping loving home for our dogs (And all may all homeless and sheltered dogs find their forever loving home!!)

Back
Top Bottom