Guard Geese

Right, you shouldn't expect to get any old good or even mix brood one in and think you'll have nothing to worry about. My geese look after the whole property, they don't care much for the chickens themselves.

Should something ever get into the coop at night it will be the same issue for anyone no matter how well bonded your goose is with your chickens because they can't see in the dark and those weasels are fast.

I do have a motion light, it's not a big deal as far as disturbance because once the birds go to bed they aren't moving around.

But a trailcam at minimum, baby monitor or other type of IP camera is always a good thing to have so you can get an idea of what's going on at night.

I ended up taking my motion light down because when it gets low on batteries it continues to go off and on and that is a disturbance so I'm going to look for one that won't do that.

Yeah I've seen this one. It's a shame, but read through the comments before you judge. The geese can't see what's going on for one, the only reason we can see is because it's a trailcam with IR/LED. They didn't have lights or motion lights in the coop for that matter so as not to disturb the flock. That's why the geese look bewildered.

Now my neighbors geese are in a barn with their chickens free to come and go and there is some night light, but not a lot. Whether they will actively protect the chickens is one thing, but they don't tolerate anything in the way of foreigners in their space which is the whole barn.

In my situation, I do not keep them penned together because my gander is territorial with everything. He will not even put up with me in his pen. Any thing that walks, runs, and drives by the house he either knows about and is heading in that direction or he's already on it.
Yeah, I came across a mink the other day outside that hid under my garage (middle of the day). It also seemed injured because it was going more slowly (confirmed later it was). But all all the geese (well, 3 of 4 because the last one hadn't caught up yet, lol) came up and were hissing and trying to attack it.

But I was concerned about it killing them since there are videos of that happening online, too. But those were also in complete darkness, so they couldn't see what was going on. But I didn't want to risk them getting into a fight and losing, so I kept pushing them away, haha. XD

Back
Top Bottom