Guinea pigs as meat

Anything is food if you so choose. Personally I see it wrong to eat a chicken but I don't frown upon others for it.

In Peru they are quite a large meat source from my understanding.

Thats quite interesting. I know other countries eat other sources of proteins and foods.. like bugs, monkey brains etc.. I guess Im not one to venture pass the traditional american foods.
As a child I had rabbits, my parents bought each one of us (3) our own. Well they bred. My mom gave babies to my uncle. Well being a nieve child I thought he was taking them as pets. A week later he brought up his homemade spaghetti sauce.. After I ate my mom asked me how I liked it. Then told me what I ate. I was horrified. Rabbits to me are not food, they are pets. I know some raise rabbits to eat. I cant not fathom that.
We raised ducks, as pets. You know how often I got asked when I was going to slaughter them for the table.. I get that it what some people do..
I just cant not imagine going to my daughter's guinea pigs cage picking her up and thinking dinner...

Thats quite interesting. I know other countries eat other sources of proteins and foods.. like bugs, monkey brains etc.. I guess Im not one to venture pass the traditional american foods.
As a child I had rabbits, my parents bought each one of us (3) our own. Well they bred. My mom gave babies to my uncle. Well being a nieve child I thought he was taking them as pets. A week later he brought up his homemade spaghetti sauce.. After I ate my mom asked me how I liked it. Then told me what I ate. I was horrified. Rabbits to me are not food, they are pets. I know some raise rabbits to eat. I cant not fathom that.
We raised ducks, as pets. You know how often I got asked when I was going to slaughter them for the table.. I get that it what some people do..
I just cant not imagine going to my daughter's guinea pigs cage picking her up and thinking dinner...

Understandable. I've never even had pet guinea pigs myself. I do have pet rats and they I would have a hell of a time thinking of as food. To be honest partially due to lack of meat lol.

It is a shame that more people do not explore alternative food options. The reason the American staples became the staples were because there were the animals that grew best in extreme confinement. Pre-1900s (roaring 20s industrialized everything) rabbit was THE American staple. It was traded out for chicken after the industrial revolution.

It is a shame that more people do not explore alternative food options. The reason the American staples became the staples were because there were the animals that grew best in extreme confinement. Pre-1900s (roaring 20s industrialized everything) rabbit was THE American staple. It was traded out for chicken after the industrial revolution.

I believe peacock was fairly popular around that time as well.

Good Day!
Thank you for your interesting posts..although I am very interested in raising a large size guinea pig in a sage healthy and animal loving home..We are experienced guinea owners of various types thru the years however it is our one desire to raise one large hopefullu 4-8lbs.
We do not plan to breed of course..

If anyone has any information in owning a large size Guinea Pig (CAVY) 4-8lbs please call or [email protected]

Thank you very much, very appreciative and to pay any costs involved. Wendy and Charles

Back
Top Bottom