Gynandromorph Chicken

I see no problem studying something so unusual. It's important to know the hows and whys of this sort of thing. People used to think studying fish that let themselves get frozen and lived to be weird and torturous too... but in the end, it's helped us make leaps and bounds in how we understand cryogenics. That's an example of how studying unusual genetic traits helped humanity greatly.

As long as they aren't using these poultry-genetics-interested minds on making more mutant meat and egg machines, I'm happy.

I want to thank all who responded with kind words and good thoughts. I slept maybe 3-4 hours last night. I was hoping that this was just a nightmare I was having.

I have a Buff Orp Hen that has been laying for about 9 months. I hatch a rooster and had him for about 6 months before I rehomed him. My Buff Orp loved him and followed him everywhere. The rooster has been gone for 12 weeks now. But I am still getting fertile eggs! Here is the STRANGE PART. Since the rooster left, my Buff has been acting like a rooster and mounting the other girls below her in the pecking order. My husband saw it first and I didn't believe him. But since then, I have seen it multiple times myself. So my question is, How Am I Still getting Fertile Eggs? Can my Buff be both Rooster and Hen? I think I am going to throw a couple of the eggs into the incubator and see if they develop.

Stupid question, but can you actually purchase these unusual birds? I would like to have one to take care of.....
1f413.png

These birds are the result of random, genetic anomalies. They are not purposefully bred for. And they are very, very rare. They are not something that is intentionally produced, so they are not something you can just order a few of. You can breed hundreds of chicks a year, and still never produce one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom