Gynandromorph Chicken

Quote:
So, definitely the egg laying indicates an ovary, but I wonder if crowing is something that is hardwired into the part of the brain which is composed of male cells, or if it truly is hormonal requiring testes. I openly admit I have no idea, but could it be possible?

Interesting concept. I will mention that to the biologist I am corresponding with at the University of Edinburgh.

Oh, cool! That will be interesting to hear.

Here's a pic of my girl, Kevin. I must've taken 30 pics and this was the best I could do. Note the right spur. The other thing that is not obvious from the photo is her right wattle hangs slightly lower (maybe it's even bigger?) than the left. We also think the right leg is thicker than the left. I really don't know if she is truly gynandrous, but it would explain a lot about her.
56638_kevin.jpg

last year i had a "hen" that crowed and was split down the mid. (one side was red the other was white) s/he acted like a hen but was bigger than a hen? grew a spur on one side and not the other? was it 1/2 male 1/2 female? she ran a way and lived in our woods for a bout a yr b4 i caught her a gain.... then a fox got it lol
hmm.png

She lays eggs almost every day. She has crowed twice, and being an indoor chicken, I am pretty sure I would have heard any other crows.

Quote:
That is just too cool. Is it possible she could fertilize her own eggs if she is both male and female? And if you put her in with a roo, would the babies from that mix have a higher chance of being gyandromorph?

Rats, somewhere else I posted an article -search- may turn it up, or Google-

Its not a chromosomal abnormality per say, its to sperm causing fertilization at the same time.

That's why the are noticed split left to right,

BTW the left ovaduct in a female remains and the right one never grows from pre-hatching, so if the left side is female you can have eggs.

for self-fertilization to occur (now remember she/he is genetically only her own blood sibling- her mother is the same and she has two different sets of her father's genes...)

the male track would also have to be 'hooked up' usually in these types of animals (natural genetic chimeras) only one set of organs is hooked up, even if the other set is present (creating hormone).

Also like the hybrid animals (mules as an example) there's a much higher rate of fertility in females then males even though in mixed family animals (real hybrids, not mixed breeds but like tiglons, ligers, mules, etc) the female animals can carry mommys type of animal to term sometimes although it is (so far) very sterile.

Back
Top Bottom