Gynandromorph Chicken

Yes, this is an absolutely fascinating thread! I wonder if I have a BO that is a gynandromorph. I think the uniform coloration of the BOs might make gynandromorphy less obvious. I bought her as a day-old chick from a local breeder. She grew faster than the other chicks I got with her and for a while, we suspected that she would be a rooster. She ended up being a hen, but was the last to lay of my six hens. She's also very beastly big, being at least 50% heavier than my next heaviest hen (CM) and nearly double the weight of her actual BO sister. After laying intermittently for a month, she stopped. Eventually she molted and now at 13 months of age, she's laying intermittently again. Between the laying bouts she grew a large spur--nearly an inch long--on her right foot. The spur on her left foot is a tiny button-nub. I also think I see shape asymmetries from left to right. She's otherwise a delightful chicken.

Here are a couple interesting articles on gynandromorph chickens, the first is easier to understand, the second is a bit more detailed for those wanting to understand the underlying mechanisms.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100315-half-male-half-female-chickens/

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/03/no-sexual-confusion-for-chicken.html

BigDaddy'sGurl :

my point is that it will probably not exactly fit into the social structure of a flock: rooster AND hen traits...would it be able to reproduce?

I was just thinking how they would produce a chick and I think they could if their brain was programmed to do this, they could produce a fertile egg them self.​

Drinktherainbow, if I understand the articles correctly, it would not be able to fertilize it's own egg. Gynandromorphs have only male or female reproductive organs, not both. Half their bodies are male cells and half are female cells.

Yay Chicks! :

Drinktherainbow, if I understand the articles correctly, it would not be able to fertilize it's own egg. Gynandromorphs have only male or female reproductive organs, not both. Half their bodies are male cells and half are female cells.

Mine has a functioning ovary and lays eggs. It began crowing last evening so it means it is probably producing testosterone, which could either be from an incomplete, malformed, or fully functional testicle. I am not sure about it fertilizing itself. It would have to basically mate with itself.​

Quote:
It's descriptive of an organism with both male and female cells. gyn = female, andro = male, morph = form.

It's due to chromosomal errors early in development.

Quote:
Mine has a functioning ovary and lays eggs. It began crowing last evening so it means it is probably producing testosterone, which could either be from an incomplete, malformed, or fully functional testicle. I am not sure about it fertilizing itself. It would have to basically mate with itself.

So, definitely the egg laying indicates an ovary, but I wonder if crowing is something that is hardwired into the part of the brain which is composed of male cells, or if it truly is hormonal requiring testes. I openly admit I have no idea, but could it be possible?

Yay Chicks! :

Quote:
Mine has a functioning ovary and lays eggs. It began crowing last evening so it means it is probably producing testosterone, which could either be from an incomplete, malformed, or fully functional testicle. I am not sure about it fertilizing itself. It would have to basically mate with itself.

So, definitely the egg laying indicates an ovary, but I wonder if crowing is something that is hardwired into the part of the brain which is composed of male cells, or if it truly is hormonal requiring testes. I openly admit I have no idea, but could it be possible?​

Interesting concept. I will mention that to the biologist I am corresponding with at the University of Edinburgh.

Back
Top Bottom