handicaped chickens

I have a baby cochin with only 2 toes on one foot. Mainly uses the leg for ballance. A friend had it, she has chickens, but doesn't touch them. (I know---weird) she told me to take it and see if I could help it's leg to heal. I had to show her what was actually wrong with the poor little thing. You wouldn't believe how well it gets around.

Sorry I can't find the usb cable to my camera right now.

We have a one eyed rooster who lives in a tractor to keep him from being attacked by healthier roos and a one footed silkie cross.

I can't remember if she insisted on sleeping outside last winter and the foot was frostbit or if she is the chicken I found hanging from a string in the coop (I suspect the latter). Months later, her foot fell off and she walks around on a stump.

I have no idea who tied her up in the coop like that. I don't think she managed to do it herself. The strange things that went on last year have stopped since our weird neighbors moved away. The cars are getting better gas mileage too!

HI All

I have two hens with crossed beaks one of these only has one eye (called Crooked Beak... original I know....) (the other one is called Dora because she likes to explore).....and one hen with a crooked foot she has no name yet but I am leaning towards The Gimp. They seem to be getting along fine with the other bird so far.
smile.png

N:D

Last edited:
We've had a few cross beak chickens that we treated like all the others.

But we have our special chicken who seems to have a big mass in her (not fluid filled, we tested) which makes it hard for her to breathe and move around well.

Whenever I feed them, I make sure she gets her food first
smile.png

We have a male duck who got severe "angel wing." We tried wrapping his wings right away but it was just useless. He can't fly, but is just a sweet heart. He has a little girlfriend who is so patient with him. She flies across the yard and waits for him to come running to her. The one day he was running to her after she flew and landed and I yelled, "Run Forest, run!" My husband and I locked eyes and yelled, "That's his name!" lol And of course we named his girlfriend, "Jenny!"
smile.png

I have a Rhode Island Red rooster who hurt his leg as a baby somehow. He get around fine with one good leg and one leg that looks like it is turned backwards which he uses for support. His name is CL, which stands for Crooked Leg. Another original name, but it works. He is the sweetest thing, very good natured, and we hope he continues to do well.

I had one handicapped roo that lived 9n the house until he passed away. He had crookneck and the other birds were attacking him something awful, so in he came and stayed. He even had his own room and I built a special "condo" for him to go outside in.

Needless to say he was THE MOST spoiled bird you could imagine.
I miss him and sure wish I could have him here still.

Here's my Lucas (Lukey luke)
stuff004-1.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

His favorite spot, on the back of the couch
chooks001.jpg

Here's the "condo" I built for him
stuff004-2.jpg

I have a few handicapped chickens and turkeys etc.. I have Lookout the silkie that survived crooked neck and is the inspiration for my company. I also have a few others that went through that too. I have a few blind roosters that have special coops so they don't get picked on. I have a call duck with a twisted spine but still gets around. I have a roo that is blind in one eye and is missing a lot of feathers off his head due to a rooster attack wich left his bottom jaw points showing. I have a one eyed turkey, and emu and another turkey with a limp.I have a Houdan with bent toes and one eye. I've had others with leg deformities and twisting so bad I've made special chairs etc for them. I had a JG chicken I named Hope after I had trouble with a hatchery's chicks one year getting sick. All the others died except her, she could not move her legs but she was one of the happiest chickens I've ever had. She lived for 5 months until her little body just couldn't keep up. I still miss her. I've Always felt if I bring them in to this world, they are my responsibility and as long as they have a will to survive I do everything I'm capable of doing to help them. I wouldn't trade any of them.

Back
Top Bottom