Hands on hatching and help

Hi there,
We are on day 30 of trying to hatch 9 runner duck eggs. Yesterday (day 29) I read the assisting hatch article, I gave them all safety holes. I eventually gently opened the air sac of one of them, following all steps. It is moving but still has thick veins to absorb, still making chewing motions, so we placed it back in the incubator. Now this morning, all 9 are still wiggling, peeping, the “open” one is moving less but still moving. Its veins look exactly the same, still thick and bloody, the membrane looks very sunken towards the duckling, almost sticking to it. Maybe that’s normal, I’ve never done this.
But my question is, can they take more than 30 days to hatch? I don’t want to rush anyone. We have done this a few times (but never runner ducks) and it’s always day 28. They have been wiggling for about 4 days now. Should I continue to leave them alone?

Thank you!
My mom duck sat 30 days so anything is possible
Did you calibrate your thermometer?
Often the machines are not correct and it being slightly off can cause delays in hatches
Ducklings can take 48-72 hours to absorb and hatch after internal pip
On the one you opened have you been keeping the membrane moist ?
Vaseline seems to last longer between needing to put it on but coconut oil is better to see the veins
I use both

Did you moisten the membrane? Brush a little bit of coconut oil or vaselin onto the exposed membrane, it will help to prevent it sticking to the baby.

You should be okay leaving them for now, give them more time. Can you show us a photo of the one with the open air cell?

My ducklings weren't runners, but they hatched after 30 days. So yes it is possible for them to take that long, don't worry too much!
Is your thermometer calibrated? Slightly cooler temps can cause late hatches.
Thank you for the reply. Yes we used coconut oil yesterday and i reapplied a little this morning. I’ll attach photos. The bright one is yesterday, the darker one is today. At least I’m seeing wiggling so I know they are okay! Thanks for the reassurance ❤️

Attachments

• 40CFB917-CE6E-41AD-B2B7-8FD106BE5633.png
    40CFB917-CE6E-41AD-B2B7-8FD106BE5633.png
    4 MB · Views: 7
  • 6D51B845-744C-4877-B43A-6B8CD878EB27.png
    6D51B845-744C-4877-B43A-6B8CD878EB27.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
My mom duck sat 30 days so anything is possible
Did you calibrate your thermometer?
Often the machines are not correct and it being slightly off can cause delays in hatches
Ducklings can take 48-72 hours to absorb and hatch after internal pip
On the one you opened have you been keeping the membrane moist ?
Vaseline seems to last longer between needing to put it on but coconut oil is better to see the veins
I use both
I have not calibrated thermometer. I checked the temp with an extra right when we started but that is a good point I hadn’t thought about! Yes we are using coconut oil. Thank you for the reply and reassurance ❤️

Thank you for the reply. Yes we used coconut oil yesterday and i reapplied a little this morning. I’ll attach photos. The bright one is yesterday, the darker one is today. At least I’m seeing wiggling so I know they are okay! Thanks for the reassurance ❤️
It looks like the air cell may still be dropping which is what happens during lockdown before hatch-- I think you caught this baby a little premature, it hasn't internally pipped yet has it? Cant see an internal pip
As long a you keep that membrane moist it should be okay for now. Coconut oil may need to be reapplied every few hours, so keep an eye on it!

Fingers crossed for the little one :fl

It looks like the air cell may still be dropping which is what happens during lockdown before hatch-- I think you caught this baby a little premature, it hasn't internally pipped yet has it? Cant see an internal pip
As long a you keep that membrane moist it should be okay for now. Coconut oil may need to be reapplied every few hours, so keep an eye on it!

Fingers crossed for the little one :fl
Like to add to this
I also don’t see any internal pip and this is why the veins are still think
Baby isn’t in hatching / absorbing yet
I don’t even see the beak
I wouldn’t open the eggs any further
Keep that membrane moist at all times
Watch for any bruising on the egg as well
Because I’m not seeing the beak the baby could be in the wrong end
They usually bruise the egg if they are

Like to add to this
I also don’t see any internal pip and this is why the veins are still think
Baby isn’t in hatching / absorbing yet
I don’t even see the beak
I wouldn’t open the eggs any further
Keep that membrane moist at all times
Watch for any bruising on the egg as well
Because I’m not seeing the beak the baby could be in the wrong end
They usually bruise the egg if they are
I think I might see the beak, here?
Not certain. I agree, not ready to absorb it all yet, it will be a while for this baby.
Screenshot_20230309_143423_Chrome.jpg

I think I might see the beak, here?
Not certain. I agree, not ready to absorb it all yet, it will be a while for this baby.View attachment 3426382
Yes that is the bill , we are watching it making chewing motions which I read means still absorbing. I agree it’s not ready!
Just seemed crazy to me since we were past day 28, but now I know that’s normal. Always learning. We will keep it moist with coconut oil and give them more time ❤️

I could not see internal pips, but I am confused what they look like and that picture wouldn’t load on the assisted hatching page. Can anyone post what it looks like?

Yes that is the bill , we are watching it making chewing motions which I read means still absorbing. I agree it’s not ready!
Just seemed crazy to me since we were past day 28, but now I know that’s normal. Always learning. We will keep it moist with coconut oil and give them more time ❤️

I could not see internal pips, but I am confused what they look like and that picture wouldn’t load on the assisted hatching page. Can anyone post what it looks like?
I wonder if @New duck mommy 2021 has any photos of internal pips.
For me I couldn't really see my internal pips, I could just hear chirps and tapping from the eggs

Back
Top Bottom